Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2001, 01:27 AM

Default Stud river decision: Value reraise or crying call?

I finally got to play a few 1-5 stud hands this weekend and mulled over a river decision for quite a while. I've had this situation quite a few times so the rest of you stud players must have too.

7th street boards

Me: (3c,3h)8c,3s,Jh,8s(6d)

Opponent (x,x)Td,2h,7c,Kd(x)

I've been betting the whole time. On 4th street, the high board was on my immediate left. He bet $3. Several players called and I raised the full $5. On fifth street, I was checked to and bet $5. On 6th street, I paired my doorcard, bet $5 and was called by just one opponent. On the river, I value bet my 3s full of 8s. And I get raised! This one opponent has called all the way despite my significant show of strength.

So what am I up against? Has he been calling all the way with a hand like Ts and 7s and made a full house on the river?

I'm not considering a fold. Do you think I'm behind and should just call on the river? Or should I 3-bet for value with my tiny full house?

Old 11-20-2001, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Stud river decision: Value reraise or crying c

Dynasty,

Without a description of your opponents and a listing of some of the other cards that were out I think just calling is fine here.

At most you just cost yourself one bet by not re-raising, whereas if you raise and are beat it will cost two more. If this is the type of opponent who will go ALL the way with a draw on third, you will get that one additional bet back shortly anyway.

Later,

CJ
Old 11-20-2001, 05:20 AM

For my money, I can only call in this spot.

Tom D
Old 11-20-2001, 10:14 AM

Given his board you have to rule out everything except two pair or trips. Unless he's the type to chase a three flush to sixth street, what else can he have? Few players at low limit will bluff by reraising, so I'd definitely just call here, with the hope of beating trips but a feeling I'm against a house that got filled on the river.
Old 11-20-2001, 05:10 PM

I would call here. Whatever he has, three of his five cards are face down and I'm not very good at seeing through the backs of the cards. There's a chance he has a straight or flush, or even just trips, but it's not enough of a chance to risk getting reraised.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:30 PM

Hello,Dynasty,

If you have been playing with your opponent for at least 1Hr.,you should have an approximate idea of his playing style.

You should also have some idea what some of his 3-card starting hands were.

Whether you should call or re-raise depends on how you perceive

your opponent's level of sophistication:below-average,average,above average,good,very good,expert.

If I evaluated my opponent to be a below-average or average player,I would re-raise;a good player would not have re-raised you unless he was able to beat your boat;a very good player or an expert might re-raise you if he thinks you are capable of folding a small boat;if the latter doesn't think you will fold your boat and re-raises you,you are beat;if the player is above-average and re-raises you,you lose (Folding your boat is an option) Sitting Bull

Old 11-20-2001, 07:32 PM

Most of the time I concur with everyone else, just call. In some situations against some opponents, I 3 bet and fold if raised again.
Old 11-20-2001, 07:34 PM

Default Additional information

I should have known better than to go directly to the river. You don't have all the information you need.

The opponent: I don't know him and have only been playing with him for about 15 minutes. However, it's safe to assume he's a tourist (in Vegas).

The cards: His cards are mostly live, including the Ts, 2s & 7s (for pairs/trips), 6s & 8s (for straight), and diamonds (for flush). Ks are dead.

Old 11-20-2001, 07:36 PM

Hello,DeadBart,

If you do not plan on calling the final raise,you should not 3-bet.

Sitting Bull

Old 11-20-2001, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Additional information

Hello,Dynasty,

If you do not have a handle of your opponent's style,just call.

Sitting Bull