Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2001, 04:19 AM

Default 1-5 stud: An easy win but how many $$$ can I get?

I haven't played much stud in the past week so here's a hand from about a month ago. As soon as I saw my 4th street card, I "knew" I was going to win and my only concern was how much I could milk out of this monster hand.

Low card 3 brings it in for a dollar. A woman to my right calls with an 8 showing. I'm holding (6c,6d) 6s. I love small rolled-up trips. You've got a monster hand and nobody is going to fear your board. I call the $1 bet. Of course, raising is an option but I prefer to call and get my money on the later streets since there's no ante in Vegas 1-5 games. A J on my left calls and everybody else folds.

The fourth street boards are:

(x,x) 2,?

(x,x) 8,3

(6c,6d) 6s,6h

(x,x) J,K

That's right. Quads on fourth street. So the pot is going to get pushed in my direction in a about 60-90 seconds. The only (and important!) issue left is how to get the most out of it in a 1-5 spread limit game. A $5 bet will make people think I have trip 6s and may scare them off. A $1 bet won't earn much. How do I get the most out of this lucky hand.

This is just the third time I've had quads on fourth street. The first time I had rolled-3s and was the low-card bring in. That lucky factor got two players to call me down and I made a decent pot. The second time I caught quad Kings on fourth street and everyone bailed when I bet just $2 on fourth street.

Wouldn't it be nice to have these problems all the time?