Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2002, 04:45 PM

Default Observing games ...

Hello all,

I find that observing play on the internet can be an interesting learning experience. I have spent quite a few hours watching the play at the 10-20 Stud games on Paradise.

I mostly find myself looking for what most consider fundamental mistakes in the play of the hands.

I have been thinking lately that I can much better put to use this observation time by having a set plan of who, and what in particular, I am there to observe.

Should I be watching the *bad* players to see how I should not play, or watching the *good* players to see how I should? Probably a combination of both right?

Does anyone have any specific ideas on things I should be concentrating on while observing a game in progress? What things should I look for that I can then incorporate into my own game to make me a better player?

Thanks in advance,

Steven James
Old 06-07-2002, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Observing games ...

"Does anyone have any specific ideas on things I should be concentrating on while observing a game in progress? What things should I look for that I can then incorporate into my own game to make me a better player? "

Keep track of the pot odds. What is the pot size in relation to the bets. What are the 'outs' of the observed players. Work on memorizing dead cards. When you have watched an interesting hand, get the hand history and analyze the action post-game. Think 'What would I do if I was player1 in the heat of battle?' What were their odds at the time of the decision? Was it correct?