Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 12:23 AM

Default Most significant battle of the 20th Century?

Give you opinion for the most significant battle of the 20th century.

Mine goes to the battle of Stalingrad:
If the germans had won stalingrad its very likely we would live in a very different world, a world controlled by Germany.. If Stalingrad had fallen, the rest of Russia would have collapsed, and the nazi's would have been able to re-allocate over a million troops and supplies to their western front. This would result in Britain falling into Nazi occupation, and without Britain the United States would be cut off and alone. Also it's very unlikely that America would be the first to make a functional Atomic Bomb as it is known that Germany was closer to making the "bomb" but their efforts were brought to a sudden halt with the invasion.

I think Stalingrad may be one of the most important battles in history because so much would change, and it wasn't the russians that defeated the germans. It was the same thing that defeated Napoleon, the worst blizzard in 100 years.
Call it fate? Twice the fate of the world has hung in the balance and the Russian winter has stopped the enemy in its tracks...incredible coincidence?

There was a program on the history channel where it showed Hitler's plans to invade Russia 1-2 months earlier but was held up by...not sure what, but most historians agree that if Hitler had gone through with the invasion of Russia just a LITTLE bit sooner then they would not have faced the winter and that would cause a chain reaction ending with an Axis victory.
Most people don't realize just how close the war was, America wasn't the grand superpower it is today...
For instance if we didn't drop the nukes at Hiroshima it is estimated that the invasion of mainland Japan would result in over a million American casulties.

I'm amazed how Hitler survived... Too bad we didn't have GV12 precision guided munitions back then, we coulda blown his ****** back to the stone age
Old 10-26-2004, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Most significant battle of the 20th Century?

Really hard to argue with that one.

Only other one I can come up with might be Mogadishu.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:28 AM

How was mogadishu significant?
Old 10-26-2004, 12:30 AM

Mogadishu inspired Usama bin Laden, who then attacked the US, whose alliances are now being radically shifted, and who is now taking down governments.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:34 AM

Well, we don't know the full effects of that yet. It could all come down to a crashing halt.

Stalingrad is probably one of the biggest. I might go with Midway or El Alamein, but there is a very strong case for Stalingrad.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:35 AM

Thats a stretch... but interesting theory.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:41 AM

Well look, I don't see how many battles in all of history can compete with Stalingrad for influence. I just wanted to throw something out to compete for second place.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:43 AM

Certainly not El Alamein--Germans were completely cut off from supply lines and they were only preserved by Rommel's military prowess. Had the Germans won at El Alamein, there were still significant American forces guarding the Caucasus and its oil. Compelling case for Midway, but it just was not as significant as Stalingrad. The western front of the U.S. was likely going to be won, it was simply a matter of time.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:12 AM

i would have to place the battle at midway on equal footing with the battle of stalingrad

if the US loses the battle at midway, we could also be living in a very different world
Old 10-26-2004, 01:13 AM

Ali-Frazier