Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2004, 03:11 AM

Default 2 Heads Up Hands Vs A Tricky Fishy

I haven't posted a hand in a while due to a) Sublimes post made me realize my posts pretty much suck, and b)have been running REAL good, basic aggressive ABC poker with some gambling thrown in while drunk... so here we go. I have no huge read on villian accept typical. I have not played in these types of games (friday night lunacy) in a while. I'm a little thrown off by it, and am having a minor downswing; nothing crazy. What did I do wrong against this dude? P.S. I really like TT.

Hand Uno.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.16 BB

Dos

River Bet Good?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (5.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (9.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 11.66 BB
Old 10-23-2004, 03:31 AM

Default Re: 2 Heads Up Hands Vs A Tricky Fishy

K...whats the read. You say you have "no huge read" but the title of your post says "tricky fishy"

Hand1: This hand is read dependent. If its a tricky fishy, id be more then willing to call this down. Any kind of passive, I think id let this go.

Hand2: Play it the same.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:53 AM

Hand 1: Three-betting TT from the blind in a heads-up pot is fine occasionally and with reads, but I'd call more often than raise. Chances are you're ahead and playing against two overcards - but you've no idea which, so you really don't want to see any paint on the flop. A PF call sets you up for a checkraise on a ragged flop and a capped flop is quite possible if raiser attempts to win a free card or hits the bottom end of A8s or something.

But anyway, occasional raising is fine, particularly on an excitable table. You're not happy about the cap though, because you've got the awful possibility of big pairs as well as overcards to contend with.

You miss the flop. You bet out and get raised. At this point I'd be thinking I want a showdown right here and now.

You can't fold this sized pot, as you have 2 rock solid outs and might get the turn checked through if MP1 has AK. I'd have to consider a reraise here with the intention of betting out the turn and folding to a turn raise, or getting a turn call and check/calling the river in the hope of a free showdown against a bigger pair or induced bluff from AK/J. The reraise risks a cap, though, and if you follow through with a bet then you're no better off than if you'd called down and you've still got a street to go to showdown.

Anyways, having called the flop raise, the turn brings a 4 and a flush. A check's reasonable because you want it checked through. But I don't think you can justify checking with the intention of calling. You don't have a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] so that's another bunch of cards you can add to the Js, Ks, and As that you don't want to see on the river. And besides, given the pre-flop cap, what exactly are you beating at this point? AK, AJ, and 88. You're also losing to flushes and in danger of losing to a four-flush.

If you're prepared to put another bet in, you have to bet out on the turn and fold to a raise. Otherwise it's check and fold and deal the next hand.

I'd be interested to know what happened. You beat A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Ko?

Hand 2: I'd do exactly the same. A player poor enough to cold-call preflop and make two-pair/set on that board is probably also passive enough not to cap the turn, so I'd only put you at about a 60/40 favourite. Particularly given the four flush. Losing to K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] would piss me off but would hardly be unusual in this spot.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:48 PM

First, very good response! Thank You. You too PokerKai. I question my TT routine, but I just can't help it.

I only realized he was a tricky fishy when he flashed A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J and I drag #1.

#2 Made m call him down, k [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Thanky.

Go JETS!