Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Schedule anyone?

Recently my poker playing has gotten somewhat out of control. I've been truly enjoying the game and have devoted an excess amount of time to playing. I'm wondering if anyone here uses a "schedule" to structure when and for how long they play. What kind of time frames do you find your play is optimal?

I had a really rude awakening that poker was becoming too big a part of my life when I walked into my Engineering Economics (yeah this class actually does exist) to find out that the midterm was today. I passed, but just barely.

Has anyone else experience such a phenomena: A breakdown in time management skills as poker sneaks into other areas of one's life. Any advice?

Curious,

Zephyr
Old 10-22-2004, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Schedule anyone?

bump
Old 10-22-2004, 12:26 AM

I am too addicted to this game so I am afraid I cannot help you here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2004, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Recently my poker playing has gotten somewhat out of control. I've been truly enjoying the game and have devoted an excess amount of time to playing. I'm wondering if anyone here uses a "schedule" to structure when and for how long they play. What kind of time frames do you find your play is optimal?

I had a really rude awakening that poker was becoming too big a part of my life when I walked into my Engineering Economics (yeah this class actually does exist) to find out that the midterm was today. I passed, but just barely.

Has anyone else experience such a phenomena: A breakdown in time management skills as poker sneaks into other areas of one's life. Any advice?

Curious,

Zephyr

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar rude awakening experience which really made me question how much time and thought I was giving to poker.

My fiance was away on business for a weekend, and I was happy to hunker down for an all-out poker marathon. I played hour after hour, not a care in the world.

On Monday I picked her up from the airport, and she says, "So, how was your cousin's wedding?" (You know, your younger cousin who looks up to you and idolized you as a kid.)

I nearly passed out from the overwhelming feelings of self-loathing. Truly one of the lower moments in my life. I felt awful for weeks. Still makes me sick to remember it.

I took a hard look at what my poker time was costing me in the bigger picture at that point. I don't think it's gotten the better of me like that again, but you have to take inventory on a regular basis.

eastbay
Old 10-22-2004, 01:07 AM

I won't let myself play anything other than 'learning' tourneys ($5 stud8 sng, $1 stud hi mtt, etc) before 9pm BST which is 4pm EDT.
The games are tougher in those hours and my time is better spent doing other things.

I won't play proper poker beyond 4am EDT for the same reasons.

Lori
Old 10-22-2004, 01:28 AM

Oh man, that's scary... I miss appointments a lot, but if I ever were to miss someone's WEDDING, jeez... And this guy was pretty close to you too, not like a Boss's wedding or a co-workers...
Old 10-22-2004, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man, that's scary... I miss appointments a lot, but if I ever were to miss someone's WEDDING, jeez... And this guy was pretty close to you too, not like a Boss's wedding or a co-workers...

[/ QUOTE ]

I misspoke a bit, it was actually a reception, the wedding had already taken place in Japan months earlier.

And I'd seen him maybe 3 times in the past 10 years, but yeah, he was my cousin, and it was nothing short of despicable.

eastbay
Old 10-22-2004, 08:48 AM

This past Sunday, I woke up at noon, played for 18 hours straight (until 6am). I even ate all my meals at the computer and I did not even bother showering or brushing my teeth, then had a full day of classes. It's really bad when you fall asleep in every one of your classes, because you pulled an allnighter playing poker. The all-nighter was planned to make up like 4 weeks of past due assignments. I'm pretty sure poker is definitely getting in the way of my social life, but I still enjoy poker a lot.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:05 PM

I heard something that I think was pulled from "Seven habits of highly successful people" or something like that.

Everything can be classified into things that are urgent/not urgent and important/not important. Obviously the things that are urgent/important need to be taken care of immediately (house is on fire for example is pretty extreme). Then there are the things that are not urgent and not important. You should let them fall by the wayside and make a conscious effort to NOT do those at all.

The trick is to get things that are important/not urgent completed before they become urgent. Before you play poker, figure out if there are any of these things you can do, like the laundry, or paying the bills before it becomes time. Studying is a big deal too. If you take care of these things, then you'll enjoy your poker more, knowing that you don't have other things to worry about right away.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:48 PM

If you're gonna play poker for a living, what do you care about college? Come to think of it, if you're not gonna play poker for a living, what do you care about college?
Meh, college sucks.

I do recommend at least 5 hrs of sleep a day and at least 2 showers a week. Also regular feedings.