Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite TV Poker Show judged ONLY by quality of announcers?
ESPN World Series of Poker 54 30.00%
Travel Channel World Poker Tour 45 25.00%
Bravo Celebrity Poker 17 9.44%
Fox Sports Network Late Night Poker 16 8.89%
Fox Sports Network Poker Superstars Invitational 48 26.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2004, 12:34 AM

Default Right or wrong NL Multi play?

Okay Im in a tourney here at one of the local poker clubs in NYC...Field of 20 to start 30.00 buyin w/rebuys.

At the final table 5 players left and top 3 spots pay, ive cultivated a tight aggressive image and was rarely making many un orthodox plays Average stack was about 2.5x my stack(1900).

I have 1900 left. The blinds are 200-400 and im on the BB player UTG foldsnext man raises to 800 table folds back to me..I have 1500 chips left 400to call I have a J-10 suited. I think for a while, do a little table talk
and size up my opponent (Who was maybe tilting somewhat after a tough hand). I ask how much he has left,turns out that he has 1100 left, So I put him on a small pocket pair and raise him all in, not sure if i would get called but sure it was no worse than a race. He takes a long minute then does make the call
shows his 77 vs my J10s

The outcome isn't important but I want to know if this wasa good play or not, and if i shouldve perhaps have let it go. I quit online poker and this was my first tournament in person in a long time but my reads seemed pretty good, tryin to work out when I should use a read and when it
really doesnt help for me to know....

Thx in advance
Old 09-26-2004, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Right or wrong NL Multi play?

I think the reraise would be good only if you thought it could force him to fold his hand at that point. However, since he's shortstacked, it seems like he's committed to go all in anyways, so it would be better to call and see the flop if you think he has a small pair and put him all in when its on you if there are a lot of overcards.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:52 AM

I thought the idea was to avoid close gambles so close to the last 3. Rarely will a raise into a lowish stack knock the player off the pot. So I will fold and wait for a spot where I can open the betting. If the other guy is tilting chances are he will be history soon and you'll be one step closer to the money. Plus your read was good and you were still behind a fraction. He could have had something like KJ and had you tied up. Fold.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:43 AM

I would push, although you are certain to be called. You are betting 1500 to win a 4000 pot. You are getting 5-3 pot odds. Your opponent probably has atleast an underpair or one or two overcards, so you are almost certainly the underdog. However, you are on average much less than a 5-3 underdog.

You are a short stack. Presumably your opponent is the other short stack. You don't have enough chips to coast into the money, so you have to gamble.

Your opponent should have pushed rather than miniraised.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:58 PM

He is almost certainly not going to fold. I think this is the perfect time for the stop and go. Just call and go all in on the flop no matter what comes.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:08 PM

RobGW is correct. Just call and move in unless you flop a straight or a boat.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:19 PM

Stop and go is much better than pushing here, even more so if you put him on a low PP