Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 10:19 PM

Default 6 Max $50 NL - Checkraise w/ overpair

My transition to the 6-max has been harder than I thought it would be. Big stack at the table is the villain, pretty aggressive and serving him well so far.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 6 handed)

Button ($98.50)
SB ($85.49)
Hero ($52.40)
UTG ($140.76)
MP ($329.47)
CO ($48.50)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">MP raises to $3</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, Hero calls $2.

Flop: ($6.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets $3</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $9</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises to $60</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $75.50

Comments on all streets appreciated. The push all in seems like such a huge overbet, that he may be trying to resteal. I can't imagine a big overpair like AA or KK making such a big reraise. Am I being too weak tight on this hand?
Old 08-06-2004, 10:54 PM

Default Re: 6 Max $50 NL - Checkraise w/ overpair

damn jordan, you pick some tough tables eh?

i'd fold this in a heartbeat.

also, i don't really know if i'd even call this preflop, knowing you'd be heads up with a guy who either has overcards/overpair.

he either has an over pair or Ax [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EDIT
see, if i were this agressive guy, i'd probably have AA, or KK and put you on an overpair to the board, which i could obviously beat. i think he played it reasonably well, actually.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:14 AM

Fold to the re-raise on the flop. I can't imagine any semi-rational player (even if he is aggressive) doing this without TT-AA.
Old 08-07-2004, 04:58 AM

At the time, I think the fold was correct. The only thing that made me wonder is some comments that came afterward. A pseudo dialogue is below (remembering from scratch)

Villain: Jordan, what'd you have?
JrJordan: Sorry, I forgot.
Villain: No wonder, you raised to $9 and folded to my raise
JrJordan: You had me beat.
Villain: Tried to checkraise me...
Villain: Now you know, don't try to bluff me out.
Villain: Lesson learned.

By this point I was out the door picking up the girlfriend from work and didn't give him the satisfaction of a reply. Anyone whose decent at online tells help decipher this please. Did he have the overpair or is does he nut himself with bluff reraises all in?
Old 08-07-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Trap

For someone betting 4x the top on the flop, I think you have to be patient and trap. I know it sucks in the meantime, but I agree with you on the overbet, and your only two choices for someone like that are trap, or showdown. If I was bored that day and/or on a decent run I'd call it - you only had 40 more anyway, right? So, you wouldn't have to worry about future plays – he may be playing you here, and he can’t play you on the next two streets when you’re AI.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:32 PM

At 10 handed I get tempted to make this kind of play.. call a pre flop raise out of position with a mid pocket pair (88 through JJ) for set value, but if no overcards come, get deceived into thinking my hand is still best and lead out/check raise a flop.

He could've had an overpair over nines, he could have had a set, he could've had Ax [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , both being overcards.. he could've had AQ offsuit. Who knows? Save your money for a better spot. A player like this would certainly pay you off if you hit a set on his TPTK.

I'm interested to know how you're doing overall on the 6max tables, Jr. You seem to have a very solid game but it appears that these tables require a lot of aggression and gamble (and therefore higher variance). I don't play PartyPoker or 6max so I could've gotten the wrong impression, though.