Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Party Poker Sit n Gos - NEED ADVICE

OK gang,

Posted here as well...

First off, my confession, I've been playing some SNGs when I don't truly have the time to play the full game. For example last night I'm in a $30+3 one table, down to four people and I'm up against a deadline I can't miss so I have to basically self destruct. Very stupid of me, so I figured, if I post my stupidity I'll stop doing stuff like that - I mean I had these guys smoked!!!

Now back to business - can some experienced PP SNG players tell me the difference between the $5, $10 SNGs and the $20 or $30 SNGs on Party Poker?

It looks like the quality of play is marginally better at the $20 level and significantly tighter (but not better) at the $30 level but I haven't played enough times to really know.

I'm at a defining point here, brought $24 up to $500 and am now back down to $250 (in part due to my stupidity mentioned above). I need to buckle down and re-build. SNGs are my preferred game as the live games have to much variance for my small bankroll. Post away...and go easy on me!
Old 07-20-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Sit n Gos - NEED ADVICE

[ QUOTE ]
OK gang,

I'm at a defining point here, brought $24 up to $500 and am now back down to $250 (in part due to my stupidity mentioned above). I need to buckle down and re-build. SNGs are my preferred game as the live games have to much variance for my small bankroll. Post away...and go easy on me!

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this thread really helpful when I started out, though you may know it or it may not contain useful info for your skillset:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...ev=#Post664102

By the way, why do you find variance any less in SNGs? I think you are fooling yourself if you believe there is no short-term luck factor here as well; I know very, very good players who have gone 10 or more in a row without finishing in the money. But I'll agree with you that these are, in general, easy to beat.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Party Poker Sit n Gos - NEED ADVICE

I say the variance is less in the SNGs because if you hang back the fools knock each other out and your down to five players by the time the BB is $100. If you catch good cards between that point you can usually suck a few good size bets in and build a decent stack.

I guess the correct term would be controlled variance with a potentially higher benefit at the end of the line (depending what limits you are playing).

Thanks for the link.