Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2004, 08:51 PM

Default Tournaments vs. Ring Games

It seems to me that the basic prerequisite to any holdem game is limit experience. But also, I have found, although the basis of tournaments are virtually the same as ring games, it infers a different mentality because of the implied commitment. Lately I have been struggling with .5/1 limit games. I start with 50 dollars. play 2 .5/1 games. Usually lose 25 of it. Go into 4, 5+1 tournaments and my money is back in no time.

Is the census of the quorum still to play ring games, or wait until I have an adequate bankroll to do so considering my lack of skill.
Old 07-17-2004, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Tournaments vs. Ring Games

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that the basic prerequisite to any holdem game is limit experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot agree with this. Limit and No-Limit are evry different games. It is becoming more common these day (and over the past some odd years) but traditionally has been rare to find a player that is accomplished in both. I also will say that I believe that is is very possible to be a world champion at one and never give a thought to the other.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:37 PM

You really should get out of 5/1 and go to 10/1 as soon as you can though.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:44 PM

I had only $25 this morning so I had no choice but to play 5/1. But stephan I think I will take your advice. I do not know if its the players or the fact that 5/1 is 20% rake and 10/1 is 10%. Either way thanks for the advice.

Take care,

Air
Old 07-17-2004, 10:53 PM

It's the rake. If it were 5/.5, I'd just say to play the 5/.5 and play twice as many tables so you have less variance.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:40 PM

you should study up and improve your game...regardless of whether it's ring-games or tourneys.
you should not be having this much difficulty beating the .5/1 game.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:14 AM

I was going to say that I had trouble beating the lowest limit games, but (1) I play at UB, which has a much tougher crowd that Party, and (2) I've never lost, I just didn't win much.

A player new to the games that is intent on winning needs a few basic things:
1) read up on the fundamentals. I recommend Sklansky's Hold'Em Poker (not For Advanced Players; the first one!) and Ed Miller's new book.
2) It takes 10,000 hands (!) before a winning player overcomes variance and can be sure to be ahead. Before that, cold cards or bad luck can drain even the best players.
3) It takes 100,000 hands (!) before your actual win rate is likely to reflect your true skill. So put in those hours, and don't worry about a few bad beats. My 30%-ish ROI at SNGs includes a run of 13 out of the money. A normal limit downswing (expect it!) is 300BB.
4) Play tight preflop.
5) If you're having trouble because you "keep getting sucked out on" then this is a symptom of poor post-flop play; playing mediocre hands too loosely and strong hands too passively. Read up in the micro-limit forums, and post a few of your most troublesome hands (use bisonbison's converter).
6) Play, play, play.
7) Have fun. If you don't like the grind of a given game, try a different one.

Finally, as a new poster, you might want to look around in the beginner's forum.
Old 07-18-2004, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is the census of the quorum still to play ring games

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, now you're just looking for an excuse to use these words.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that the basic prerequisite to any holdem game is limit experience. But also, I have found, although the basis of tournaments are virtually the same as ring games, it infers a different mentality because of the implied commitment. Lately I have been struggling with .5/1 limit games. I start with 50 dollars. play 2 .5/1 games. Usually lose 25 of it. Go into 4, 5+1 tournaments and my money is back in no time.

Is the census of the quorum still to play ring games, or wait until I have an adequate bankroll to do so considering my lack of skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

just wait until your daddy puts more money into your account and you'll be fine
Old 07-18-2004, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is the census of the quorum still to play ring games

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, now you're just looking for an excuse to use these words.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe...but he still did not use them correctly.