Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2002, 09:31 PM

Default played it perfect? QQ 30-60 hand

i have QdQs one from utg in a pretty live 30-60 game 9 handed. i open raise. 3 players call including the button. sb calls. bb calls.

the flop is QT3 all clubs. checked to me, i bet, everyone calls, the bb raises, i 3 bet, two players fold, the button calls, the sb calls. the bb calls.

the turn is the 9c. sb checks, bb bets, i call, button raises, sb folds, bb calls, i call.

the river is a 2h. checked to the button who bets, bb calls, i fold.

comments?
Old 03-12-2002, 10:14 PM

Default Re: played it perfect? QQ 30-60 hand

I think this is pretty standard and played by the book, on the turn with that many bets in the pot, you are definitely drawing to the best hand with plenty of outs to fill up. No way you can overcall on the river with that board, though. Looks like BB had something like J8c and the button had the Ac and caught his card on the turn. No way to protect your hand more than you did, the Ac(maybe even Kc) is coming all the way.

DN
Old 03-13-2002, 03:49 AM

I think 3 betting the flop is an error. Waiting for the turn to raise has merit - you may be behind on the flop, but on the turn there's no doubt, and you wish you had not 3 bet. I prefer a smooth call on the flop, and a raise on the turn unless the board pairs or a club comes.

Better luck.

Dan Z.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:39 AM

I think waiting until the turn to raise as opposed to 3 betting the flop is more a difference of style rather than correctness. Hitting a boat by the river with a flopped set is about 2:1, so with up to 5 players available to pay to see the turn with you (so, very likely more than the 2 you require to break even), it can't be much of an error to put in as much money on the flop as possible. Waiting to raise until the turn lets you minimize your losses if another club comes or more severely punish those on a flush draw if it doesn't, but you may also lose some folks who would be willing to draw dead for 1 bet on the turn after you create a giant pot with a lot of action on the flop. I've used both plays in this spot, but I prefer going to war on the flop as the number of opponents available to fund my big hand/draw increases.