Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Forget passive, how \'bout stupid aggressive?

I don't know what possessed me this hand but oh well.

Party 15: 10-handed-- I remember having no notes on the opponents.

UTG raises, MP & LP call. I 3-bet on the button with black tens. Only UTG, MP & LP call.

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]:

They check, I bet, they call.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]:
They check, I bet, UTG & MP call, LP drops.

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]:
They check, I bet, they fold.

Is every street debatable? I think the outcome was a once in a blue moon occurrence.

Critique appreciated.

Regards,
Jamie
Old 07-09-2004, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Forget passive, how \'bout stupid aggressive?

Looks fine until the river. Its not the fact that you're almost certainly behind that makes this bet wrong, its that they'll never fold the winner and rarely call with a loser. If you check behind here you're winning just as often and saving a bet when someone has a scared jack or something similar. I'm guessing they finally gave up on hands along the lines of AQ and ATs.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:11 PM

Hi ike,

Right after the hand I thought, "Man that was a dumb river bet" After ruminating a but, I'm not 100% positive.

I know it's been said here often that it doesn't pay to bluff/semi-bluff on Party in certain circumstances.
However, there are 11.66 BB in the pot by the river - is there an 8-9% chance someone will fold a better hand? Specifically, a hand like QJ/J10?

Sometimes people change their mind when the pfr shows strength on the river into more than 1 opponent. My guess is that the percentage is very low though......in the 1-10% range.

But I do think I was probably up against AQ & A10 on the river.

Regards,
Jamie
Old 07-09-2004, 08:18 PM

They have to fold that large a percentage of their entire pool of winning hands, not just that large a percentage of their QJ's. That seems EXTREMELY unlikely. If they ever call a loser this number goes down, but that also would be very surprising.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:46 PM

I think there is an extremely slim chance that anyone folds a better hand than your TT. Any J that has called this far is going to call the river and they would be right in doing so. The river bet was bad, but the rest of the hand I liked alot. If you check the turn you put yourself in jeopardy of having to fold a winner on the river. Ni Han.

Gavin