Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2001, 02:07 PM

Default Poker Faces

I am in the process of reading a book titled "Poker Faces - The life and work of Professional Card Players." by David Hayano. I think the book is out of print now, and the one I'm reading, I got from a friend who found it in a used book store.

The guy who wrote it is an anthropologist, who did a study of poker players and poker playing in the Gardena card rooms of the 70's and 80's when all they had was draw poker.

Anyway, I'm about half-way through the book, and was wondering if anyone else has read it, and if so, what was your opinion of it? The writer has done a good job covering the subject, I think, but there are spots where I think he misses the mark also.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2001, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Poker Faces

Lancy,

I read this one years ago and it is in storage. It seemed to do a good job or portraying the poker world back then. BTW, David "the arm" Hayano is a regular in the top section at the Commerce.

Regards,

Rick
Old 10-11-2001, 01:22 AM

I enjoyed the book. Its is out of print and fairly hard to find. I don't remember anything I thought he was truely all wet on, but I didn't play poker during the times he is talking about either.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:13 AM

The book came out in 1982. I still have my copy, I should have David autograph it. Good job of describing the Gardena of those days and the regulars there. A lot of it is anthropological jargon, such as "According to principles of behavioral psychology, successful strategies and their rewarding payoffs can be described as a variable-ratio reinforcement. . ."

I understand David is on the payroll at Commerce now.
Old 10-11-2001, 06:50 PM

mason rates poker faces on p308 of gambing theory...i heartily recommend both books...gl
Old 10-25-2001, 01:17 PM

I'll read it