Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Top pair, stack management and a button who keeps raising.

Party 2/4, and the button starts this hand with $18.50. So on the flop he had $14.50 remaining, and we get aggro on the flop... $6.50 at the turn...

After it becomes apparent that the button is not going to stop raising, I opted to try and create a side pot. Hence betting the turn, rather than check-raising to face the field with 2 bets. Thoughts on this, or try and isolate?

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Super Secret Frog has A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and is EP1

Super Secret Frog raises, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO(poster) calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds

Flop(11 1/2 SB): A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Super Secret Frog bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button raises, Super Secret Frog 3-bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button caps, Super Secret Frog calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls

Turn(13 3/4 BB): 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Super Secret Frog bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Button raises, Button is all-in, Super Secret Frog 3-bets, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, MP3 is all-in

River(22 3/4 BB): 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Super Secret Frog bets...
Old 01-02-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Top pair, stack management and a button who keeps raising.

I think your line is fine here. Leading out on the turn is good because you are acting immediately after the button, so you can still assure that you are facing both of the middle position players with two big bets. As they are already invested one, they are probably slightly more likely to call (so you do a little less to protect your hand), but the extra value gained by getting bets in with what is most likely the best hand is good.

I like the idea of trying to create a side pot. The button may be just trying to get all his money in with something like AJ, but he might have AQ or a set or something, and so I would try to earn as much money back as possible from the MP players if they happen to be on worse As, middle pair, KJ, etc...

Nice hand.