Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 01:41 AM

Default JJ, double-paired board

Mainly interested in comments on the turn. With the board double-paired, anyone with an A or T beats me. Should I have check-folded instead of betting, called the raise, or folded to the check-raise like I did?

Paradise Poker 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

River: (14 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB
Old 09-22-2004, 03:56 AM

Default Re: JJ, double-paired board

I think check-folding the turn is probably better here...but betting isn't THAT bad, as long as you fold to a raise which you did.

Will
Old 09-22-2004, 07:15 AM

That's rough. I've seen so many people try to buy these pots or just assume their king (or queen!) will be good that I tend to go into check-call mode when it's double-paired and I have a live pair (either pairing the board higher than the second pair with top kicker, or an overpair to the board in my hand).

I have a bit of a hard time check/folding the turn, but I might check/call down at this point. I would certainly have no trouble betting here, and doing just about anything after that.

You could call down, figuring you're going to get shown something worse. You could fold, figuring you're going to get shown something better by at least one of the three that saw the turn with you, or that SB was sitting on ace-rag and suddenly improved to the virtual nuts.

A read would be of immense value here, and lacking it I'd probably do just what you did and hope to glean something valuable at showdown.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:52 AM

My biggest concern was the fact that there were 3 other people still in the hand, and I really couldn't see them all calling without someone having an A or a T. I felt pretty comfortable folding to the check-raise, but I was also wondering if check-folding might be correct even though showing weakness could induce a bluff.

In this case, SB turned over A3o for the full house. MP1 called him down with 55.