Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 AM

Default Call, Call, Call, Call, can this be right?

Loose passive online 2-4 game.

Three limpers to me, in Late Middle position, I limp with 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] Cutoff, Button, both blinds, and one observer calls. 8 to the flop.

Flop 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

checked to the shortstack (SS) immediately to my right who has about 4 big bets. He regularly plays a shortstack, and if usually plays a lot of hands very aggressively. He bets, and I think that if he and I go to war, he will run out of bullets pretty soon, so if I am going to make any money on this hand, it has to come from overcallers behind me. I call, the button calls, everyone else folds.

Turn, 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . Giving me a one card straight draw to go with my trips, and putting two flush draws on the board. SS bets , I call, button calls.

River, 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . SS bets, I call, button overcalls.

SS had A8 suited, the button had T8 suited, and my hand was good.

I don't remember ever playing a hand where I called four times, and thought that I made the right play, but here I think that I might have. Comments?
Old 05-08-2003, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Call, Call, Call, Call, can this be right?

Strange Bob, I just posted a short stack hand this morning without even seeing this hand, it's a weird wavelength we seem to be on. Now in your situation I would raise the turn, to get HU with the short stack and see if he'll give up the rest of his stack or see what the button is made of...however, looking at the way it turned out, your Call, Call, Call was the best play. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The button may have folded if you brought it up on the turn.

Nice hand.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:19 PM

Against loose passive folk it is rarely correct to be the caller throughout the hand, but it surely does happen. Against aggressive folk, it comes up all the time.

The "Be the Aggressor" aphorism is an excellent general strategic approach, but that doesn't mean there are no hands that play better passively.

- Louie
Old 05-08-2003, 04:01 PM

The right time to raise would be on the flop, if at all. Button player could read that as an isolation raise and stay with you.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:56 AM

over-aggressive opponent with a short stack who wants to get all-in so he can lose his chips and leave and go do something else? And you just call the flop? Doesn't seem right to me...
Old 05-09-2003, 12:21 PM

over-aggressive opponent with a short stack who wants to get all-in so he can lose his chips and leave and go do something else? And you just call the flop? Doesn't seem right to me...

No, he wouldn't leave if he went all in and lost, he would just rebuy for another 5 Big Bets. He plays short stacks all the time, and if he doubles up, he leaves for another table, but as long as doesn't he will sit and play his 5 BB stack. He plays very aggressive on the flop, because he is frequently all-in on the turn, so he doesn't have any reverse implied odds.

I called, because I knew that he would keep betting as long as I allowed him to, and if I raised, I thought that I might shut out the overcallers.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:49 PM

I like the hand. I played a similar hand where I flopped a boat and just called the whole way, expecting to make more from the overcaller than the bettor. I don't think the bettor would have called my raise.

I got roundly criticized at the table, of course. I claimed that I thought I only had trips and he had a better kicker (un hunh). This one other player at the table was quite solid... approached me later off the table and said "misread your hand, my @$$, you misread nothing." he then proceeded to make the same observation that the overcaller was a more profitable calling station in this hand than the original bettor.

Of course, then I have the contradictory feelings of "cool, this guy liked my strategy" vs "@#$%, why does this Alert player have to be at my table?? table change!" [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2003, 12:59 PM

Of course, then I have the contradictory feelings of "cool, this guy liked my strategy" vs "@#$%, why does this Alert player have to be at my table?? table change!"

LOL, don't worry, it's only one player.