Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2003, 11:07 AM

Default Strange online 5-10 hand, what was he thinking???

Online 5-10. I have Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] early and limp. Only the blinds call.

Flop - 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]
SB bets and BB folds. I have noticed that if the SB will bet any pot if he thinks he can win it, even if he has poor hole cards. I do not think he would play nines this way. I raise, SB re-raises. OK, he could have a 9, but I think it is more likely he has a 4 or a pocket pair.

Turn - A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
SB checks. I am almost certain he has a 4 (or a small pocket pair) now. In my mind, I am behind, but I have 15 outs. I bet to see if I can shake him loose, and he calls.

River - 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]
He checks again. I have an easy bet and he calls. My hand is good.

The weird part is, he held A-5o. I don't understand his post-flop play at all. He re-raises me with nothing, then he gets his top pair with a paired board and a flush draw showing and slows down? Am I missing something or is his play very odd?
Old 05-04-2003, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Strange online 5-10 hand, what was he thinking???

Ok, all I have to add, is that, is that, yes it was strange.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:39 PM

Gosh, let's see.

SB on the flop: My Ace high is probably good and this is the cheap street.

SB on the turn: Uh-oh, I don't have a very good kicker and I just noticed there are two 9's out.

SB on the river: Oh crap, two 9's and now three hearts. I'm not gonna let EP bluff me. Oh mommy, let me win!
Old 05-05-2003, 12:19 AM

I don't know what was so bad, here's my reccolections on what happened on that ill fated night:

Not much on offer this hand, if I'm winning the only way I can tell if there is a bet in front of me, so I bet. Hmm, you raised, well you've seen me do this a thousand times, I still think I can win this, so lets see so I raise.

Now on the turn I actually have a hand. There's no value in betting here, you'll won't call with a worse crop of hands, so I check call. I'm not afraid of overcards here, and if I'm losing it'll hurt to be raised. Same on the river.

I don't think it was awful, just perhaps overly agressive.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:43 AM

i really dont like your preflop limp. 5-10 on PP is usually tight agressive, so you arent gonna get a multiway pot. I think this is clearly a raise or fold situation, and honestly, i dont think that you give up that much by folding. Any1 agree?
--vitaly
Old 05-05-2003, 06:41 AM

Well, I never said it was bad! I said it seemed odd to me . I would never out and out insult someone's play if I thought there was a chance they would read about here! Really, I was posting the hand for 2 reasons.

1st - I was confused by the play and wanted to see if I was missing something. I've been playing higher limits lately and want to make sure that I'm not getting outplayed.

2nd - I was way off on my read and that is concerning to me anytime that happens. I really thought you had a 4. I knew I was behind when the flop was re-raised, but I had 6 fewer outs than I thought. Well, at least on the river I had 6 fewer outs than I tought.

Anyway, I understand what you were thinking a little better now. It just threw me that it was you went all out early with nothing, then hit the wall as soon as you got the card you wanted.

See ya!
Old 05-05-2003, 06:45 AM

This was Stars, not Party. If it was very tight and aggressive I probably wouldn't have plyed in the first place! As it was there was more than the usual amount of limping going on. I did consider raising the hand, and if I had been 1 or 2 places closer to the button I would have.