Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Novice Question

I'm new to this game (played tournament bridge successfully), so I hope there are a few kind souls out there who don't mind dumb questions.
I play low-limit holdem on the net, and have a couple of books for beginners.
What I'm wondering is the following:
1. How do you (at the table) personally calculate the odds that your hand will win, vs. other possible holdings by the opps? I know the betting gives clues, but a lot of lying goes on!
What I'd like to know is whether you simply concentrate on your own odds and go for it, or whether you are working out other possible hands and know the odds of someone having them?
Is there a chart or something?
2. Do you have to be a math whiz to play winning poker? Personally, I'm not, and after reading these posts, I think maybe I will never be much good! (I didn't even really like Algebra! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
3. I love cards, and am pretty good at guessing what the other players hold based on their betting, etc. but I imagine good players are relying on more than that..
I guess I'm really asking how much higher math are you doing while calling, raising, etc--there at the table.

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]