Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2002, 07:54 PM

Default Somebody explain The Beatles to me

Ok so I don't hate their music. I don't listen to it on purpose, but I don't think it's terrible. I don't think it is something to be applauded, however. I don't understand why they are so praised. I have had this discussion with a number of people and no one has given me a decent explanation. This came up again when VH1 released a list of the top 100 rock albums and The Beatles had 5 of the top 11. One of my friends summed it up best with the comment:

"Maybe I'm listening to some other band that I'm mistakenly referring to as the Beatles, and the real Beatles are actually this great band that deserves to be praised. Or, maybe 99% of the general public wouldn't know their a** from the extra hole in their head. I'm sure if there was an album called "Ringo Takes a Sh**, and We Recorded It" it would have cleared the top 15."

Basically our arguement is that the Beatles were not immesely talented in any way. Paul an John were decent singers. The music is not bad, but it is simple. They didn't not invent rock as some people claim. Basically, the only think they did is invent the "boy band"...and should we be thanking them for that?

I usually get stuff like this. I understand Elvis' fame, I understand why "The Bicycle Theif" made the top 100 movies, etc... I understand why the band Rush is regarded highly even though I dislike their music. The members are very talented. I am not closed-minded about music. I listen to every genre. But someone please tell me why the Beatles are so praised!?!?!

PS--Since this is about music, let me throw in a plug for a band that some friends of mine are in. You can check out their songs here:

A day at the fair

I think the songs "Jersey California Life" and "Broken" are the two best they have up there.

Some of the members used to be in a punk band but now they play more of a Dashboard/Goo Goo Dolls with a hint of punk kind of music.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Somebody explain The Beatles to me

John Lennon and Paul McCartney wrote phenomenal, moving songs. They were both excellent musicians and singers. No, they didn't "invent" rock and roll - but they are without a doubt one of the most influential groups ever in music.

The music is simple only in retrospect. We can listen to Beatles' songs now and they don't sound all that impressive, but this is 40+ years after the fact. At the time, it was revolutionary.

For the record, I think the Beatles are a great band. I enjoy the vast majority of their music. Since you referenced Rush as well, I'll also note that I think they're a great band. Sadly, I don't know enough about music to be able to comment more intelligently than that. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2002, 08:18 PM

I'm not sure where to begin, but as a musician, I can tell you that The Beatles were an extremely talented band. You need to understand that at the time, rock was dying out. The boring I-IV-V chord progressions were overdone. The Beatles changed all that. They were the first to write and perform their own songs, the first to wear long hair, the first to use different chord progressions and harmonies, and the first group to stay on top of the charts for 3 years. Then when you thought they were done, they come out with Sgt Pepper. Another completely innovative album for the time. I think you need to understand that all the Rock music you listen to today is an extension of what the Beatles started.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:19 PM

A lot of it is political. The Beatles have been portrayed as deep thinking leftists and boomers get 20/20 rose tinted hindsight thinking they were so great. They were OK as a basic pop band with drug addled musicians. Attaching any more significance to them is a mistake.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:19 PM

Yeah! What he said!

(He made a lot more sense than me, which isn't tough.)
Old 11-26-2002, 08:22 PM

Our music was a sign of changing times. Not only in Great Britain but in America as well. Many teens went through difficult times listening to our music and could relate to our message. Yes much of our music was simple but what better way to to relay an important message with simple, clear lyrics and rhyrthmic melodies. You may want to discern the messages from the Sgt. Peppers albumn before you write off all our music as simplistic performed by untalented musicians.

Perhaps if you had lived through the turmoil of Vietnam, free love and powerful mind altering drugs it would make more sense. Alas H.G. Wells and his time machine are but fiction however The Beatles shall remain eternal and a portion of the very fabric of todays society.

Ringo

ps: Musical talent means little without a message and an audience thirsty to learn more.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:43 PM

Besides what noo yawk wrote you really had to be there and live through it to understand the phenomona totally.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:49 PM

Glenn,

When I'm driving along, and I hear "She Loves You" on the radio, I smile. I'll never be that young again-or that innocent--but, for a brief moment, I am.

John
Old 11-26-2002, 09:02 PM

Default You\'re killing me!!

The only thing I ever wondered was how a guy unloads a gun at John Lennon when he has an easy shot at Yoko.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:06 PM

I think what I am not seeing is why they are set above the others. Like I said I don't think their music is bad, and I don't disagree they are an important band. Certainly I would never questioned the taste of a Beatles fan. However they were not the sole reason for the rock revolution. By the time the Beatles went on Ed Sullivan (1964), Bob Dylan already had two albums out. So writing political/meaningful rock songs isn't theirs alone. The Rolling Stones came out with their first album that year as well. In 1967 Jimi Hendrix released "Are You Experienced" and "Axis: Bold as Love". In 1968 he came out with "Electric Ladyland". This was concurrent with the release of "Sgt. Pepper..." (1967) and "The White Album" (1968). IMHO, the Hendrix albums were so much further down the evolutionary chain of rock it is beyond compare. The point is many important rock artists released revolutionary material at the same time. The only difference is that the Beatles hit the mainstream faster because they were more suitable for television. I think they have been given undue credit because of this.

Anyhow, Irish and others, could you please give me a list of 5 Beatles songs to listen to? I'm sure I have heard them but I will pay attention this time [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .

Thanks for the quick responses.

-g-