Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 07:00 PM

Default JJ, turn decision.

Who calls? Who raises? Villain is 68/5.2PFR/1.62Ag so far, seems a bit LAG.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero...
Old 12-21-2004, 07:08 PM

Default Re: JJ, turn decision.

I'd call it down unimproved, personally. If a heart hits on the river, and villain bets, there is a fine line between raising or calling.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:09 PM

I called down and he tabled 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and MHIG. My read was adjusted.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I called down and he tabled 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and MHIG. My read was adjusted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen this a lot lately. LAGs betting any pocket pair like they're rockets. I laid down the best hand two or three times before I resolved to start calling down TPTK against these nuts.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the key. Based on the stats you had, I wouldn't have imagined he'd be the type of guy to raise 55 UTG+1. Nor did those stats scream that his post flop play would be that horrible. Erring on the side of caution with small samples of PT data is a good thing, I think. Like you said, now you adjust your read and play this guy accordingly next time.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:12 PM

I think raising here would be bad. After UTG+2 folds, I don't think you have a good enough read on your opponent to believe a raise is +EV.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:26 PM

I hate these situations. LAGs get as many good hands as anybody else. If that turn card was a non-heart I think I lay it down..his stats don't indicate a maniac. Now that the turn card is a heart, I call. Raise a heart on the river or call a non-heart due to sheer pot size.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:39 PM

If that turn card was a non-heart I think I lay it down

Nooooo, don't do that.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:33 PM

I don't know. I think laying down a non-heart river is fine. He's getting odds to call the turn, but I don't see any hands he really beats. He was ahead of PPs like TT earlier, but now on the turn he's even behind that. I don't see anyone other than a maniac playing overcards this strong, and even that's pushing it unless he has like the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2004, 09:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know. I think laying down a non-heart river is fine. He's getting odds to call the turn, but I don't see any hands he really beats. He was ahead of PPs like TT earlier, but now on the turn he's even behind that. I don't see anyone other than a maniac playing overcards this strong, and even that's pushing it unless he has like the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except he said a non-heart TURN, meaning that if the opponent bet out on a turn card that didn't make a flush possible, he'd fold (thinking the opponent had? 87? a set?).

Raise-call a non-heart turn. Since this was a heart turn card, call down (improved or unimproved, IMO).