Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 08:10 AM

Default Honest Answer Pls

If you were given the opportunity to cheat at high stakes poker with potential earnings at 5 figures weekly. honestly, would you take it?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Honest Answer Pls

[ QUOTE ]
If you were given the opportunity to cheat at high stakes poker with potential earnings at 5 figures weekly. honestly, would you take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's my honest answer:

I believe there are two sorts of people: those who would even consider cheating, and those who would not.

I am happy to announce that I fall into the latter category.

I'm not making a lofty proclamation here, but I think it's safe to say that one's perspective on this might be a pretty good starting barometer of that person's general character.

I just figure hey--life's too short to be a total scumbag.

So I suppose the complete answer is that I would not even consider it, but for utterly selfish reasons.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:44 AM

one's persceptive will detour given certain circumstances. it's very hard to walk a straight line through success.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one's persceptive will detour given certain circumstances. it's very hard to walk a straight line through success.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why ask for an "honest answer," then question the veracity and accuracy of the answer given?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:57 AM

i'm just trying give people more view to look at things. i'm here for answers people, not to answer questions. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 11:46 AM

once you reach a certain level, you realize you don't need to cheat to beat the game. then it becomes a matter of whether or not the amount you beat it for is enough for you. i think some people cheat because they're action junkies and they don't have the discipline to beat the game straight up.

my answer is no - however, in my younger days i'm afraid i would have considered it at the very least.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:39 PM

I'd consider it and then decide against it. Not for love of the game or because I'd be villified if caught, but because that kinda [censored] seeps into you blood when you do it. It would make me hate both a game I enjoy and my self. Very -EV.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:44 PM

I don't see how you can risk getting caught. Stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars is no small thing.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:41 PM

no risk of getting caught?

sure i would. thats a minimum of half a mill a year, do that for a couple years and invest wisely and your set. i'd feel bad for cheating people however. really.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sure i would. thats a minimum of half a mill a year, do that for a couple years and invest wisely and your set. i'd feel bad for cheating people however. really.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you'd feel bad? Oh, ok, then.

Would you hit an old lady over the head for $500K? No chance of getting caught. Would you?

Durr, well, I'd do it, but I'd feel bad about it. really.

Predicted response to this post:

[ QUOTE ]
Rushmore, I did not say that I would hit old ladies. I said that I would cheat my fellow poker players at poker, essentially stealing their money. Yes, I realize that there is at least some expectation of integrity and honesty one might logically expect from his fellow human beings, but I have decided that although I call these people my peers, and I pretend to actually care about everything from humanity to my own personal dignity and integrity, I cannot help but realize that ultimately, I am nothing but a steaming pile of monkey chit.

But I feel bad about it, OK?

[/ QUOTE ]