Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 10:43 AM

Default AQs flush draw on paired board

Wow, troubles here! Should I have folded the flop? I hit my nutflush on the turn, but should I have dropped it their?

I had no good reads, but both weren't fish

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (21.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 24.25 BB
Old 05-05-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: AQs flush draw on paired board

Looks like BB slowplayed JJ or had 66 preflop and hit a monster on the flop. The flush doesn't scare these two on the turn... and if you know they're not fish... you might have bailed on the 2 bets back to you on the turn... knowing that you're definitely up against a monster with those two at war. Tough though... I probably would have done what you did and hope for the best.

I don't see a good way to exit this hand without paying off unless you dump the turn early.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:59 AM

The only logical hand I could see beating you at this point is JJ held by the BB. I would call down anyways just in case they both held a 6 or a smaller flush or some other grossly overplayed hand.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have folded the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be silly.

[ QUOTE ]
I hit my nutflush on the turn, but should I have dropped it their?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

They have no idea you have the nut flush, keep this in mind.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:20 AM

The BB has most probably hit a 6 of some sort. A6s? Depending on the BB he might have 3-bet Jacks pre-flop. Who knows? But I don't think you could give up your nut flush on the river.

Steve Griff
Old 05-05-2005, 11:32 AM

One of the most expensive hands I've ever been involved in was when I held AQs. A friend of mine (a terrible player) raised from UTG, I reraised thinking he could have 55 for all I know, and this player in MP called. Flop was 99T with two of my suit. My friend bet, I raised, and the MP player reraised, my friend called. Now, I knew if I hit my hand I'd make a ton, so I thought, so I decide to call. The worst thing happened, I made the flush on the turn. My friend bet, I called, going for an overcall, and this MP player raised, and then my friend reraised! Well, at this point folding seemed to be the best option, but on to the river we go. The river was a J. Long story short, after calling the raises in between my friend and the other player, my friend showed JJ, the MP showed T9s, and I threw my cards into the muck in utter frustration. I guess the thing I learned was not to chase a flush on a paired board with a ton of action on the flop/turn. That being said, knowing the chances of flopping a full house are remote, I suppose I can't blame you for paying off. Again, the worst thing that could have happened was for you to make the hand! Or was it? Did you take down the pot?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:03 PM

No way to lay this down. The only reasonable hands I see beating you here are JJ &amp; 66. But you could also see this kind of action from just trips or smaller flushes.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the replies! Results in white below:

<font color="white"> BB had JJ, UTG small flush. </font>