Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 03:55 AM

Default i busted out in the first orbit

ok, i've never busted out in a sit n go so early before. this time i busted out before the first orbit. was this completely stupid? should i shut 'er down for the night?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed)

UTG+1 (t1000)
MP1 (t1380)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1470)
CO (t1030)
Hero (t1470)
SB (t1820)
BB (t2330)
UTG (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, SB calls t70, BB calls t60.

i figured they called because they thought i was on a steal. nonetheless, i should proceed with caution, but...

Flop: (t240) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, SB calls t200, BB folds.

i thought this flop was pretty. not ideal, but fairly nice.

Turn: (t640) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t1190 (All-In)</font>, SB calls t1190.

what the hell does this guy have? i'll go all-in and put him to the test early.

River: (t3020) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3020
<font color="green">Main Pot: t3020 (t3020), between Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by SB (t3020).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
SB has As Ac (two pair, aces and fives).
Hero has Jd Jc (two pair, jacks and fives).
Outcome: SB wins t3020. </font>
Old 10-14-2004, 04:45 AM

Default Re: i busted out in the first orbit

What's the deal? You were beat by a lot of hands. Were you that confident you were ahead with an overcard on the board?
Old 10-14-2004, 04:51 AM

no i think i was just being a total fool. but i figured even if i was beat he would lay down a lot of hands that would be beating me.

overall i wasn't happy with my play. totally not my style at all. usually i'm very tight early on.

i just wanted some confirmation that it was indeed a bad play, because there's still some part of me that says it wasn't out and out horrible. but if it really was, i want to know that to avoid this kind of crap in the future.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i just wanted some confirmation that it was indeed a bad play, because there's still some part of me that says it wasn't out and out horrible. but if it really was, i want to know that to avoid this kind of crap in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me be the first to confirm. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
They can't take your chips from you, you can only give them away.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:11 AM

What did you put him on after the check call on the flop? A weak Q? If so, I don't think I have to tell you that on low limits (you didn't specify) they're not laying that down 80-90% of the time.

If he's got mid or low pair, you have him, so maybe a small value bet would be in order.

Some sort of draw is the most likely holding, but still, why push? If he's drawing keep him in there. There are no hands that will call that large a bet bet that you don't already have crushed.