Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 03:32 PM

Default stealing...

I've been working on my stealing in the middle stages of MTT's to limited success and was wondering what, in general, do you raise on a steal? I've been putting in ~3-4x BB from the button, CO, and sometimes MP with 2 or fewer limpers, and it doesn't seem to be working. or am i just getting unlucky by running up against bigger hands?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Re: stealing...

[ QUOTE ]
I've been working on my stealing in the middle stages of MTT's to limited success and was wondering what, in general, do you raise on a steal? I've been putting in ~3-4x BB from the button, CO, and sometimes MP with 2 or fewer limpers, and it doesn't seem to be working. or am i just getting unlucky by running up against bigger hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate limpers in the mid-stages. You never know if they have a monster or if they are really weak. Paying attention will help, but it is still hard to know. I usually fold AJo/99 in a limped pot (the set value of the nines is very playable if I have a lot of chips, so I might limp). As for your button raises.... Try just a 2.5BB raise. If they have a hand, it costs you much less, and if they don't, they'll fold no matter what your bet is.

The key with stealing (I think) is to remember that sometimes you'll get caught. So, risk less. If you are betting 4XBB to collect 1.5BB, you have to be successful 3 out of 4 times. If you risk 2.5BB, you need to be successful 2 of 3 times. People tend not to play back if they don't have a hand.

CSC
Old 03-15-2005, 04:33 PM

One of my tricks is: if I have at least a 60% chance of not being called and BOTH every stack behind me who I'm raising into, whether they're the blinds or not, and my own stack contain 4-15x the amount of chips in the pot, I push- with any two. I did a lot of math to come up with those numbers. You're welcome to double check it with your own math.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:41 PM

I don't think there is a single answer. I think it depends, and you need to be flexible. You need to be observant and see what the table is folding to. Sometimes it will be 2XBB. Sometimes it will be 3XBB or 4XBB.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:31 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

Add an extra BB to your standard raise for each limper. So if there's one limper, and your standard raise is 3x, raise to 4x. This should apply whether you're stealing or have a hand.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my tricks is: if I have at least a 60% chance of not being called and BOTH every stack behind me who I'm raising into, whether they're the blinds or not, and my own stack contain 4-15x the amount of chips in the pot, I push- with any two. I did a lot of math to come up with those numbers. You're welcome to double check it with your own math.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain your methodology to get the 60%? Are you picking hands to steal or is this every hand?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:20 PM

In the mid stages of a tournament people are still hoping to hit their sets with medium/low pocket pairs. After a limper if you raise 3.5BB, you need to decide what you're going to do if he reraises intent on a coinflip. Of course, if you're holding garbage then that decision's easy (although it will affect your table image), otherwise it can be tough.