Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 02:14 PM

Default What hands will you call raises with? What hands do you raise with?

I play party 25NL and have been calling dollar raises out of position lately with ATo and similar hands when I probobly have a dominated ace.

I like to only call a dollar with JJ and ATo and better in any positon (reraise with KK and AA). AK and QQ may be worth 2. If I am in position with suited connectors or small PP, I will call .50 if there are three or more callers infront of me. What do you call with?

I notice that if I put out a buck, I often get three or four callers and I know they don't all have broadway cards or pocket pairs.

I will make it a buck with AQo or KQs and 1.5 or 2 with AK and KK. What kind of raises do you put in? Keep in mind that I play a fairly tight game. (until i screw up postflop, but thats another topic)
Old 03-29-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: What hands will you call raises with? What hands do you raise with

[ QUOTE ]
I play party 25NL and have been calling dollar raises out of position lately with ATo

[/ QUOTE ]

contradicts

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that I play a fairly tight game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, are you playing 6-max or a full 10?

Regards,
Mike L.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: What hands will you call raises with? What hands do you raise with?

[ QUOTE ]
If I am in position with suited connectors or small PP, I will call .50 if there are three or more callers infront of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally call the raiser with pocket pairs in any position if both mine and his stacks are more than 10 times the raise.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:27 PM

I call raises with AK, pocket pairs, and if I have position and we both have 100xBB stacks or bigger suited connectors.

I fold A10, AQ, and any big cards like that to a raise all day long.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:15 PM

Do you ever raise with AQx or AJx from CO, Button, SB or BB if the field limps to you? I've done this a couple of times with success. Example - I'm on the button with AQo. 5 limpers to me. I raise 8x BB. As long as the SB or BB don't call or raise, and as long as I don't get an all-in from a limped-in AA or KK in EP, then I figure I can play for TPTK since I probably don't have an AK or better out there already. Typically, only one or two (max) of the limpers call that raise. I then bet out the flop, especially if there's an A, K or Q on it. I usually take it down right there. If a villain hits his set, I can get usually spot it right there and get away without too much more damage if I get reraised or stop-and-go'ed. I don't think this is quite the same as raising on the button with ATC because if I do have to go to a showdown, and I can get there cheaply, then I have a good chance of winning versus a top pair weaker kicker and busted draws.

I always fold AQo or AJo to an EP raise, and I'll frequently fold them from EP.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: What hands will you call raises with? What hands do you raise with?

I will raise with plenty of cards in late position that I wouldn't call a raise with - isn't the gap concept pretty well known by now? Or am I once again importing sound tournament strategy into my cash game?

Not only won't I call a raise with A10o out of position, I won't call the BLINDS with A10o from EP. With a bunch of limpers at these limits, what the heck kind of flop are you going to feel great about with A10o?

With all pocket pairs below QQ, most of the time I'm limping from EP and MP and calling any raise less than 10% of my stack IF the other players remaining have enough money and inclination to pay off my set. I'll raise with a variety of hands from CO or Button depending on previous action.