Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2003, 09:46 AM

Default A Lesson

2-table SNG on 'Stars. 15/30 blinds, 9 at the table. All stacks between 1250 & 2000. I have 1750 in the BB and get 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

4 limpers, SB completes, I check. (180 in the pot)

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked around

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, EP bets 90, Button calls, I call. (450 in pot)

River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, EP bets 240, folded to me, I raise the minimum to 480, EP raises to 720, leaving him 500, I put him all-in, he calls and flips over .....

You guessed it.....

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Any questions?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:29 AM

Default Re: A Lesson

I see stuff like that a lot. I am a big fan of betting. Slowplaying anything but the nuts is nuts.

One of my better tourney performances a while back hinged on taking out some slowplayed pocket aces. I was bb with 83o and one limper. Limper of course had AA and flop of course was 338 and I of course ended up with all his chips.

I try to make it a point to never limp unless the blinds are still real low and there are several other limpers. I try to be consistent with a 3x preflop raise whether I have AA or a pure move with rags.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:26 AM

Personally I don't think there is a problem slow playing the aces, especially at an aggressive table. In these SnG's you can often get someone raising in to you late preflop who will call all in reraise.

If I were said slow player and I spiked my set I may try for a C/R on the flop, (I'm not sure what his position was with respect to the other players), but with 4 players I would certainly want to weed the field out a bit. I bet the pot here. You would be gone but the players he would want in there would be, (someone with an Ax). What I would be afraid of in this position is giving the 10q in the blind a chance to catch a free one.

I'm not any expert or anything but I have found that the big "skill" you need when playing aces like that is to be able to get rid of them.

His reraise all in on the end was as moronic as his mini-bet on the turn. Glad you snapped him off. One less guy I have to worry about limping in early with aces..... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 11:37 AM

His reraise all in on the end was as moronic

Actually, I think the river was where he made the least of his mistakes. I put him all-in and he called me. By the river he's sunk because he has to somehow put me on almost the *exact* 2 cards I hold to not lose all his chips.

This hand is also a perfect example that when you have the str8 and flush draw combination, you'd much rather make the str8.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:40 AM

my bad I thought after you reraised the min he went all in... my thinking is it's a good time to go ahead and call that min raise.......

Yeah that was a sneaky str8 to make..... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] the flush would have hit him in the head....
Old 12-22-2003, 01:21 PM

Slowplaying is a very good strategy but should only be used in the appropriate cirumstance. The first rule of slow playing is that you cannot let someone who has a weaker hand out draw you in the end. The objective of a good slow play is to make your oppoent lose with a very good second best hands. Eg. You have AA and you raise 3-5x blind and are called by just one or two palyers. Flop is something like A93 of different suits. In this situation it is unlike that someone with 2-4 or 45 is going to call your preflop raise however AK AQ or someone with 10-10 to KK may may get will aggressive if you show weakness after the flop. Then let them hang themselves. Your oppoent should have been sweating bullets when a flush and possibe straight was out there.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:26 PM

and did he gripe then about how you ran him down and how could you play that garbage?...LOL

I have found that if I play my AA hard preflop, 50% of the time I'm gonna get a caller anyways who I can get all in - and since their best position is heads up, I would have repopped it...

actually, I LOVE making a big overbet in this spot...with 4 limpers, there's gotta be one thinking..."hmmm...I have A8 suited...he's trying to bluff me..." - LOL

a very important lesson...glad you were teaching it and not learning it... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 01:40 PM

What's really funny is when an fps slow player check-raises you after they let you draw the nuts...
Old 12-22-2003, 02:01 PM

I agree. There is a time and place to slowplay. I just think that preflop with AA is not the right time. Postflop after a decent preflop raise changes the situation.

But to let the any two types and even the blinds in to try and outdraw my AA without a pop doesn't make sense to me.

If I am a very short stack (ie only 2 big blinds worth) and get AA in early position I'll limp all the time hoping for more callers since I'll be getting all my chips in anyway and want to more than double as that's my only chance. But in normal situations I'm popping that AA every time I get it. You usually (online) get called or reraised anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 02:03 PM

and did he gripe then about how you ran him down and how could you play that garbage?...LOL

No. He took it like a warrior.