Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2003, 10:43 AM

Default How did I do, NLHE QQ with overcard

Party .25-.50 blind NLHE game. I ($55) have black chicks UTG, so I make it 3$ to go. Only get 5 callers.

Flop is K92 rainbow. I check and it gets checked around.

Turn is a Jack, making a 2-flush, so I bet $15. UTG+1 ($60) calls, so does a late player.

River is a brick, I check and call his $10 bet.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Re: How did I do, NLHE QQ with overcard

I might have raised more preflop to get less than only 5 callers!

Since you have so many people with you, you're up against a king so once you see that flop you should probably shut down. I sense a slowplay on the flop. With these tables Kx is out there as well which may well check that flop.

Check fold the turn. Since you bet I would be very suspicious of those callers and you may as well call the river considering the size of the bet but here I either sense weakness or a teaser from a monster looking for a raise. Kx could still be there too considering where you're playing...

Jon
Old 10-02-2003, 04:00 PM

Default Re: How did I do, NLHE QQ with overcard

I make it 3$ to go. Only get 5 callers.

Wow, those Party games are really tightening up. (Actually I think they are, a bit, at least when I play... but not so much that it hurts.)

Give it up when the K flops. Someone has one and he won't drop it. Well, maybe nobody has one, and maybe someone who has one will drop it, but it's really not very likely.

What they will do, though, is keep checking their top pair on a slowplay, until you hit your Q. Let them do that.

I know, I know, it feels awful just check, check, checking QQ to one overcard, but it's the right move.

Guy.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:09 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
Give it up when the K flops. Someone has one and he won't drop it. Well, maybe nobody has one, and maybe someone who has one will drop it, but it's really not very likely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess so after this hand. A bit of prudence struck me this hand, and I did choose to check the flop, where normally I would bet here, and check the rest of the way if called.

Being that no one bet, I figured no one had a King, and I still had to protect my hand from an Ace.

[ QUOTE ]
What they will do, though, is keep checking their top pair on a slowplay, until you hit your Q. Let them do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in this case, I was glad not to catch. When I called UTG+1's $10 river bet (into a $50ish pot), he did not have a pair of Kings, he had THE FULL SET!?!!?

I thought it was noteworthy that he though that not only was his hand worth slowplaying on the flop and turn, but also preflop, and he thought to sell it for only $10 on the river. He could have had my stack at (almost) any point, but luckily he left $21 to buy lunch.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Results

The one place his slow play makes sense is the flop. With KK and a flop of K92r, he couldn't expect much action. But maybe that's not true. (Maybe people will call anyway)

Hope you enjoyed your lunch.