Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 03:54 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Ugh, I\'m an Idiot: Empire NL Speed Tourney, How Bad Was This?

74 players paid $5+$1 for the speed tourney, I just squeek into the final table of 10 that get paid. 10th is $15, goes up $5 each progressive move up the charts, although 1st is $140.

So anyway, I'm not even paying attention to the luck that I got with position on the CO to start the final table. Everyone is short-stacked with blinds at 1K/2K

I only have about 2300 chips left, it's folded around to me and there isn't even a small blind posted. I find 4/4 and push all-in, knowing that the BB with 2K already in is going to call me. He hit his 7 and I was out.

With my position I should've just waited for others to go out and moved myself up a lot more in the money, and probably took my time making all my "decisions" (i.e. folds" so that the blinds would continue to increase and eliminate players because of my position.

My first time playing one of the turbos, it was crazy, for sure. Wish I had just paid more attention and not gotten caught up in the pocket 4's.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Ugh, I\'m an Idiot: Empire NL Speed Tourney, How Bad Was This?

It was all luck at that point. You had 1bb left and had pocket 4s, making you a 50/50 against almost anything, why wouldn't you push? I ended up coming in third. The guy that won just kept hitting outs when he went all in. A few lucky flops and he moved from about 10k chip to 20k chips lol. Oh well, its all luck at that point.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:21 AM

There are a lot of people trying to fold their way into moving up a few places in these speed tournaments. However, it is better to gamble with a small advantage and try to win the thing. Everyone has a small multiple of the BB, so it is often correct to push.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:34 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default No guys, I disagree about pushing, it was a bad move

I disagree guys. Yes, I have 4/4, but there is no small blind and it's been folded to me. I have 2300 chips left and the big blind already has 2,000 invested, so he isn't going to fold.

I'm making a 50/50 gamble for 1:1 money, there's no value in my play. If I wait for a larger pot, better cards or just the big blind, I've got position on all the other players at that point, I can slow things down and allow the blinds to continue growing, thus eliminating more players before me, and move myself up and maybe snag $40-$50 instead of $15. Taking the gamble for the 1:1 money isn't worth it, since having 2K or 4K with blinds at 1K/2K doesn't really make a big difference, I'm all in no matter what hand I play.

I went on to bubble in an Omaha Hi/Lo sit n' go afterwards, doh!
Old 06-27-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: No guys, I disagree about pushing, it was a bad move

44 is the favorite versus a random hand. Plus if you double up, you will be a big stack with 2xBB and have a chance to win the thing.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:16 PM

Nah, it's a clear fold. If it's 9 handed he's almost guaranteed to move up 3-5 payout spots (double his money) just by folding *and then* take his chances vs. a random hand in the SB.

Pushing means he loses ~50% and is still covered by the SB when he is the BB and it's folded around to them (the sole reason for increasing your stack there is if you will cover the guy to your right if you win.)
Old 06-27-2005, 03:56 PM

easy fold.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:00 PM

Def. muck this.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nah, it's a clear fold. If it's 9 handed he's almost guaranteed to move up 3-5 payout spots (double his money) just by folding *and then* take his chances vs. a random hand in the SB.

Pushing means he loses ~50% and is still covered by the SB when he is the BB and it's folded around to them (the sole reason for increasing your stack there is if you will cover the guy to your right if you win.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you considered trying to win the tournament or make the top 3 places? Double up now and look for an opportunity to push again before you get to the blinds.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:48 PM

So often in these dumb speed tournies you are in a spot where there are one or two guys with loads of chips and everyone else with none. If you are in a spot where doubling up really doesnt even give u a chance to win the tourney, then just go in survival mode. In fact, you can just stand up and walk away from your table if you have less than a blind. Take a nap.

-Jason

As an aside, why does anyone play these? Go buy a lotto ticket.