Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2003, 03:35 PM

Default Recent hand 4/8 hold em

a recent hand at 4/8 hold em at foxwoods. I am BB holding 22, MP opens with a bet, 2 callers, button raises, i call. flop comes 9 2 4 rainbow, i check, all check to raiser, he bets, i call (rainbow board) one more caller and a folder. 3 players in turn card is 4, made my boat and i am thrilled, i check, MP checks, button bets, i raise MP calls 2 bets, button re-raises, i cap it, MP folds. river cards comes 4, i am sick to stomach, i check to button and he checks, showdown my boat 444 over my 22, button shows AA and i proceed to lose a made hand. tough break but i felt i played it well, any thoughts?
Old 05-14-2003, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Recent hand 4/8 hold em

Am I reading your post correctly in that MP open raises (i.e. opens with a bet and not a call), two callers and the button re-raises? If this is the case, I would have definitely folded pre-flop. If MP simply called, and there is only one raise to you, I probably would see the flop.

Once you see the flop is about the best you could imagine, if you check, hoping the button bets, why don't you 3-bet here? I doubt it would have shaken off AA, but once the turn comes and you start betting, maybe he lays down his 4-outer by assuming you have a boat. He has to know that you put him on a high pocket pair best on his pre-flop raise and continued aggressiveness on the flop.

I think that is all I would have done different.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:05 PM

I assume MP "open-limped" preflop? Did he put in an amount equal to the big blind or double that? I am going to assume that he open-limped.

Preflop - Calling is routine getting 9.5:1.

Flop - Bet out. The players in between will call and then hopefully the button will raise and you will be able to three-bet. The other option is to check-call the flop and bet the turn, but I don't like that nearly as much.

Turn - Fine

River - Fine. I assume you planned to fold to a bet by the button?

-- Homer
Old 05-14-2003, 04:05 PM

I would have probably bet out on the flop into the raiser depending on how aggressive he is, hoping to trap a few players between us on the flop for a couple bets, then check-raise the turn.

Other than that, tough break. I think we've all had it happen as well, flop a boat then see the high card pair on the river and see the chump with J7o drag the pot.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:32 PM

Welcome to the forum. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Did MP open with a raise or call? There is no betting in the first round, just limp/raise..if he open-rasied and the button reraised your action should be fold even with the two cold callers.

Prelfop: 5.5 coming in - implied 3 more (assume this is a typical game down there and all will call 1 bet) 8.5:1 not bad call, borderline for me. Needing a set to win with 22 @ 7.5:1 to flop it. (I'm a tight wad, that factors in the time I'd lose with a set of dueces, oddly, like you did here)

Flop: I'd bet out hoping to get re-raised (putting the button on an overpair) and getting a better chance at the limp-callers to call 1-bet instead of 2 on the rebound and then 3-bet in hopes to get heads up.

Turn: you did fine here.

River: Tough luck, check is right on here and fold to any bet you have to assume your underpair is no good.

Good luck and keep posting.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:53 PM

Yes guys i did mean the MP limped in before the button raise, my bad.

Thanks for all your input, i can see a few agree that i should have bet out the flop, and i didnt much consider it at the time, thanks. This is my first post here, i have been readin here for some time. I appreciate the input.

bet of luck!!
Old 05-14-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Bottom sets are very very vunerable

IMHO you played the hand poorly.

You can make an argument for calling a preflop raise with 22, however once you flop bottom set, you must attempt to win the pot right there.

You could have check raised the flop, or led into it.

Your opponent who had Aces wasnt going anywhere, and you should have lost more money.

Next time bang away with your bottom set.

Just my opinion [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2003, 08:36 PM

I think you should definitely lead on the flop with a bet here. Trap them all in and then the button may raise and you can 3-bet. Anyway, the way the cards fell, no matter how you played it, you were going to lose. He's not laying down AA on that board.