Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 03:31 AM

Default AJs with a rough gutshot.

UTG is around 25/13/1, CO was around 25/8/2.5. Both were pretty strong reads.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (9.40 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (10.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (16.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds...

Anyone play it differently? The flop and turn decisions all had me staring blank for a minute.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: AJs with a rough gutshot.

I think the easiest play, would be to fold preflop to an UTG raise. Even though, the raiser apparently has a pretty wide range of raising hands, a fair number of them are going to be unfavoarable to you, and you aren't closing the action.

On the flop, given that you aren't closing the action, I think both calls are a little iffy, but I might have made them.

After the flop action, I don't think you can call the turn, because you are very likely to get raised here, and putting in two big bets with a gutshot draw is pretty undesirable.

Finally, I think the fold on the river is probably OK, because I don't think that there are enough hands that you would beat that you can justify this call, and you aren't closing the action, so you might face another raise before this is done.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:51 AM

Preflop discussions aren't fun, but I fold this preflop unelss I have a good read saying this is most likely going to be a big juicy multiway pot.

I with you on the flop with my BD flush draw and the gut shot. I fold the turn though. I scared of getting raised behind and thinking I probably only have 3 outs if I am. I'm not so sure it's such an easy decision though. I think it's close either way. The pot is huge and you have outs to the nuts!

Given that you called you're getting odds to draw to the three outer on the river though.

Tough spot to get stuck in, but I think calling and folding have similar value.

-WT
Old 06-17-2005, 04:04 AM

I cold call like never, but this seemed like a perfect place to cold call. The preflop raiser is raising loose and is weak postflop. It might've been better to 3-bet and make sure I get him HU, now that I think about it, but I don't like folding at all.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:45 AM

13% isnt loose.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:50 AM

new here, how do you calculate aggression statistics? Is is from a program or from you?
Old 06-17-2005, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
13% isnt loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 17/13 isn't raising very loose from UTG here, but I think a 25/13 is.

[ QUOTE ]
new here, how do you calculate aggression statistics? Is is from a program or from you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker Tracker
Old 06-17-2005, 05:31 AM

I'd fold preflop, even with those stats, but if you're going to play, you gotta 3bet and isolate IMO.

Sucks to be sandwiched on every street here, but not much you can do. Against these players, I fold the river too.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:39 AM

How do you justify that call on the flop? You're getting 10-1 true, but you'll probably have to split the pot if you do hit a ten and you obviously aren't counting your ace as an out.

By my count, that gives you 3.5 outs, getting 10-1 on a call that doesn't close the action. You have to figure that the flop fits in well with people that coldcall a raise behind you. This is an even clearer fold after it gets raised and reraised and then comes back to you... you're now getting 9-1 on what's probably a chop if you hit... what if the cutoff caps?

If you're going to play marginal hands against a preflop raiser, you have to be able to get away from them when they don't flop imho.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you justify that call on the flop? You're getting 10-1 true, but you'll probably have to split the pot if you do hit a ten and you obviously aren't counting your ace as an out.

By my count, that gives you 3.5 outs, getting 10-1 on a call that doesn't close the action. You have to figure that the flop fits in well with people that coldcall a raise behind you. This is an even clearer fold after it gets raised and reraised and then comes back to you... you're now getting 9-1 on what's probably a chop if you hit... what if the cutoff caps?

If you're going to play marginal hands against a preflop raiser, you have to be able to get away from them when they don't flop imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pinning other players on AJ? I think you're reading the hand incorrectly. If the T hits, Hero has a nut straight using 2 of his hole cards.