Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2004, 03:15 PM

Default pre-flop first in

Hello

I am having trouble reconciling what I hear with known good pre-flop strategies. I have read several books, several times each. It is entirely possible I missed something.

I generally play Sklansky with some minor modifications from warren. I am a small winner at limit.

The question has to do with being first in pre-flop along with the guidelines that say calling is many times the worst strategy versus raising or folding. Also many people say to raise to not let the blind in for free.

Sklansky says to raise only with group 1&2 hands and maybe group 3 from late position. I see so few of those group 1&2 hands, I frequently go whole sessions without seeing one.

So are good aggressive raising strategies different from that for raising if you the first one in pre-flop? If you can point me to anything in Sklansky's books that I missed, that would be great.

Any comments are appreciated.

TIA, Tom
Old 07-18-2004, 03:53 AM

Default Re: pre-flop first in

Tom, if you are playing low-limits, you are probably better off getting the new 2+2 book by Ed Miller. I suspect his preflop raising standards will probably be more useful in the games you play than what you have read so far. The problem is that there are so many factors that go into the decision. The hands you mentioned are pretty much automatic raises, but there are lots of other hands that are profitable to raise in other situations. Hope this helps.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Re: pre-flop first in

Hello

I have already ordered Ed Miller's book. Waiting for it to arrive [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think it is supposed to be out very soon.

Thx.