Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Bankroll question

Hello,

Proper bankroll management is 300-400 BB..Now does this mean you should move up once you hit 400 bb, or does it mean you need 400 bb to play a certain limit.

is this correct for a winning player?

$400-$1500= 1/2
$1500-$2400= 2/4
$2400-$4000=3/6
$4000-$12000= 5/10

Is this proper management? when is it correct to take shots at a higher limit..

Thank you for helping me out..

Chips
Old 08-11-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Bankroll question

I think your numbers are wrong. 300-400 BB at the following limits breaks down this way:

1/2=600-800
2/4=1200-1600
3/6=1800-2400
5/10=3000-4000

You don't have to move up limits when you have more than 400 BB. Moving up should be a decision based on how comfortable you are at your particular limit, how much/little you'd like to challenge yourself and how much money you have in your BR. If you play full ring you'll find that you can get away with closer to 300 BB and feel safe, but if you play shorthanded you'll likely want more because variance can go through the roof.

Caveat: remember these numbers are generally accepted for use by a winning player. If you are a losing player there's no BR big enough. Similarly, if your winrate is smallish, you can expect to experience larger swings. A WR of ~1 is almost guaranteed to experience a downswing in the neighborhood of 200BB.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Bankroll question

You can take shots with much less than 300 big bets if you're smart about it and ready to step right back down if you get unlucky or the opposition is too tough. In fact if you have reason to believe the rest of the table is particularly weak I can see playing at a higher limit for that one session with only 50 big bets in my bankroll. Clearly this means a high risk of ruin so keep that in mind. If you simply cannot afford to bust out, then you're best off maintaining a bankroll of between 200 and 500 big bets for the limit you're playing. More than 500 and you should really look into moving up unless you simply cannot win at the next highest level.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting this on the Beginner's Forum. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] If you still consider yourself a beginner there is a great chance you won't really be able to recognize the situation above and you'll just get yourself into trouble. As a rule of thumb, the 300 big bet rule is a good one and you won't go too far wrong if you just stick to it blindly until you develop a better sense for it.