Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 10:39 PM

Default Big Slick in the Small Blind

I was unsure all the way through this hand if I was playing correctly. Any advice/correction is appreciated.

PokerStars, .05/.10, 7 handed, Hero is SB. First orbit, so no reads, other than table is loose/fairly aggressive. (One of my problem areas is forcing myself to pay attention the 80% percent of the time that I'm not in the hand)

Hero has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in SB

UTG limps, EP1 Raises, folded to Hero, Hero calls (normally I will call 1 raise cold from EP with Group 1&2 hands, 2 raises with Group 1 hands; since I am in SB and it is approx. 1.5 cold, I called), BB and UTG call.
8 SB

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero Bets (I have TPTK, I bet because a. I might be best and b. To see how proud of his hand the PF raiser still is);
BB folds, UTG calls, EP1 raises, UTG calls, Hero calls.

7BB

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

At this point, based on EP's PF and postflop action , I went into check/call mode. (to be honest, I don't remember noticing the three spades on the board. I just felt EP wasn't worried about a pair of kings on the flop, and now the board has paired on top of it.)

Hero checks, UTG checks, EP checks. What the....[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Still 7BB

River: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

I bet out based on turn action..
Hero bets, UTG raises (DOH!!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) EP folds. I now figure UTG for either KT or TT...however...I have taken Majorkong's advice and no longer fold on the river in this situation...and have won more than lost because of it, thank you Majorkong, so I call.

Thanks again for all comments. Fire away.

Results: UTG turns over TT

Old 02-06-2004, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Big Slick in the Small Blind

since this will most likely be a heads up hand i would probably 3bet preflop to get rid of BB and help me define EP1's hand, based on whether he caps or not and to take control of the hand...I would also 3bet the flop most of the time, if he caps i would go into check/call mode, if not i would lead at turn...KT is unlikey at is not a real raising hand from EP and there is nothing you can do if he hits a 2 outer on the river...
Old 02-07-2004, 01:02 AM

Default Re: Big Slick in the Small Blind

Preflop: You should be 3-betting here with AK and at least attempt to gets heads up with the raiser. Even if you fail at that you will find out a bit more about his hand from whether he caps or not.

Flop: Since you didn't 3-bet, you need to check-raise him here and try and get rid of UTG. You have no reason to think you don't have the best hand but its still quite vulnerable. After you bet and get raised, a 3-bet should be standard if he caps you can slowdown.

Turn: Letting EP take control of the hand leads to bad things like free cards.

River: You let UTG get here cheeply by letting him face one bet at a time and giving him free cards. Hopefully you've learned you lesson.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Big Slick in the SB-Good, Clear Advice, Much Apprciated--N/M