Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2003, 05:50 PM

Default Berating players and making them play better

I am not covering anything new here, but I thought it would be a nice reminder. Playing 5-10 stud at a mostly weak-tight table (I was going to change tables, but there was one bad loose player). I was stealing more than my share of pots with my aggressive image. Without too many of the details, I thought another player was making a play on me, so I played back at him very aggressively. Long story short, I completely misread his hand and I ended up sucking out on him with a flush to his three Aces which he had on 4th street. Although I was a bit embarrassed for playing my hand, especially so aggressively, I was happy to win, and I must admit it was nice to not be the person on the other end for a change.
My opponent was, to say the least, upset. He ranted on for 10 to 15 minutes about the hand. He even confronted me why I didn't play a subsequent hand, which I certainly would have raised earlier to steal (I knew he wouldn't have folded to my garbage). The fact is his ranting made me play tighter, and, in effect, better. His ranting also made the loose player uncomfortable, and he also played tighter and better. This is just a reminder not to act in such a way. Say nice hand and get'em later. I soon got up from the tight table as did the loose player.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Berating players and making them play better

That's exactly what I think. I HATE when people online will bitch at people for making long-shots. If they're bitching at a poor player, it'll only make him better, we WANT them to go for those because most of the time they won't make it. Just last night I was watching a NL tourney table and some guy that got busted out complained to the guy that busted him for the rest of the tournament telling him he didn't know how to play, this and that.

I was just like god damn man, shut up you're going to ruin it for everyone if you give this guy the hint that he sucks... some people will just never learn...if I get a long-shot beat I suck it up and complain to all my friends about it lol, not at the table.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:41 AM

I agree, I hate people who berate and comment on what everyone should have done. I don't know why they do, it only puts THEM on tilt.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:41 PM

DOH!! The game you were in is BETTER without the loose player: stealing shamelessly against weak-tight players is more profitable than getting a play from loose players. The object is to throw your hand away often enough that they hesitate when you DO raise.

Also, since you WERE successfully stealing shamelessly against these players, then it stands to reason that when you DO get a play from them, their average hand is much higher than normal. Continuing to give them a play is very wrong.

- Louie
Old 01-09-2003, 07:42 PM

You 100% right, but I sure do feel for the guy getting drawn out esp. with 3 aces on 4th. I've been in his place a lot more than yours.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:32 PM

I completely agree with your assessment. My thinking that he was making a play at me was based on (obviously misread) his actions and small talk up to that point. Other than this horrendous play on my part, I certainly got away from bad hands that I was called on during a steal attempt. Thanks for the input!!