Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2004, 05:19 PM

Default Netflix

Anyone tried it? A co-worker and I were thinking of trying it and using our office address. Just wondering if anyone had any experience- speed of delivery, title availability etc... Any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

P.S. The first movie I'm renting is Roadhouse
Old 11-09-2004, 05:21 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Netflix

when i sign up for [censored] like it i never use it. i would use video on demand if it were instant though. i've had netflix before and i always wane with my usage. i might try again just to watch series of tv shows because i don't want to buy the dvds to watch them once.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:21 PM

Excellent service. Buy a dvd burner and burn the movies you get.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:26 PM

The service is outstanding. The movies usually come overnight even though they allow like 3 days. And the one time I had a problem, they said don't worry it's fixed. Definitely a customer-is-right attitude. Selection is so-so, especially for new releases.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:28 PM

I signed up just last week. The first 2 weeks are free. In the beginning you get 3 DVD's. What I do is watch 1 a day (I work at home so I'm here all day) and I send one out each mail day. Since mine only take 1 day to arrive at the center who ships them out and they take 1 day to get here I can pretty much have 1 DVD coming in every mail day. Therefore I pay about $20 after tax each money and I see about 25 DVD's or about 80 cents each. I couldn't be more happy with them.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:29 PM

I just joined it last week. I like it, and was surprised how fast you get your videos. I signed up late last Wednesday or something and had them on Friday.

I only wish they had a price between their $17.99/mo for three at a time and their $29.99 for 5 at a time. I can easily go through two movies at a shot, so ideally 4 or 5 or 6 would be nice to keep me always with a movie to watch. But I guess I start to feel like the extra $12 is wasteful or something for just 2 more videos at a time. Now, that 8 at a time package would be great -- I'd never run out of things on hand to watch, but that's 50 bucks a month, which is getting ridiculous.

Anyway, their service is great and very fast, and I'm glad I got it. I just wish the upgrades weren't so pricey. Oh, and I wish they didn't make the second "features" disks that come with movies count as a full selection. That's kind of excessively lame.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:30 PM

It is awesome, but you have to watch DVDs almost every dya to really take advantage of it. If you only watch 6 DVDs a month, then it's about as much as renting it form Blockbuster. My roomates and I have about 150 on our queue. Mostly TV shows and the movies from 100 best movies at least one of us has never seen.

Also, Hollywood video has a deal right now: $10 for unlimited rentals. But Netflix does deliver to your door.

As far as the DVD burner, what program do you use to get around the copyright protection?

-AA
Old 11-09-2004, 05:32 PM

Since I joined a week ago I've already seen the following: The Jury (loved it), Road to Perdition (like it), Seabiscuit (I couldn't get into this one but my mom liked it), The Recruit (liked it), and Bourne Identity (liked it). I actually just got an e-mail about 1 minute ago saying I have 3 more movies on the way as I mailed 3 on Monday and they received them today and shipped the next 3 on my list today.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:33 PM

Everything sounds good except that features disk clause. Nowadays they all have that [censored]. So you could possibly not be able to get 2 movies at the same time if they both have a 2nd disk even though you don't order a 3rd movie?
Old 11-09-2004, 05:38 PM

I never get the special disc. If it's a movie I like enough to care about the special disc, I usually just buy it.

-AA