Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Flopping middle pair w/BDFD against a preflop 3-bettor

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero ...

We have 5 outs against KK/JJ, 3 outs against AA, and are virtually dead to QQ/TT. On the plus side, we now reverse-dominate AK/AJ, and we are way ahead of 99 or smaller.

This doesn't quite smell like WA/WB to me, since it seems like we're behind to more hands than we're ahead, but in many cases we have a good number of outs. Can anyone suggest a plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Flopping middle pair w/BDFD against a preflop 3-bettor

I would call.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:13 PM

call and re-evaluate on the turn would be my guess
Old 08-29-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any particular reason why?

The two lines that occured to me were:

1) Call down. This would essentially be a variant of WA/WB, with the same reasoning, even though as I mentioned we're not quite way ahead or way behind here.

2) Show some aggression on the flop, with the idea of laying it down on a later street if played back at, or value betting the rest of the way if not. This is a more aggressive line that "lets us know where we stand", but I'm concerned that it might lose us more when we're behind and win us less when ahead if villain is the sort that can find a fold with a bad hand.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any particular reason why?

1) Call down. This would essentially be a variant of WA/WB, with the same reasoning, even though as I mentioned we're not quite way ahead or way behind here.

2) Show some aggression on the flop, with the idea of laying it down on a later street if played back at, or value betting the rest of the way if not. This is a more aggressive line that "lets us know where we stand", but I'm concerned that it might lose us more when we're behind and win us less when ahead if villain is the sort that can find a fold with a bad hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about "Call because we are drawing and have sufficient odds to peel?"
Old 08-29-2005, 04:37 PM

We're ahead of AK, AJ, and 99. Way behind AQ, AA,KK, JJ, 1010, though can improve to beat some of these hands. Does anyone give an opponent at 1/2 credit for making a move on us b/c we raise after posting, presumably with any 2. I do it sometimes if I have a number of hands on them and they seem TAG.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:45 PM

I would call and re-evaluate.

I think you're giving him too much credit. A good number of aggressive BBs will see a raise from CO poster as a steal attempt and will auto-lead any flop to push you off a missed hand.

First hand at the table is always the hardest. It puts you to a decision right away and it often sets the tone for your table image.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:47 PM

I call, hoping to catch a heart on the turn. If so it's an easy call on the turn.

If not, well depends on read really.

I bet he has KK....
Old 08-29-2005, 04:59 PM

Problem here is we know nothing about BB yet, so we don't want to raise the turn because he could 3-bet as a bluff. I would tend to call and reconsider how strong our hand is on the turn.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about "Call because we are drawing and have sufficient odds to peel?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider this to be part of the reasoning behind option (1), since at the decision point I feel we don't have enough information to be certain we're behind. (The other part of (1) is that sometimes we're ahead and folding would be very bad.)