Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Multi Table Internet Poker....Profitable?

Honestly, do you "winning" internet players think playing 4 to 6 tables affords you any real advantage?... How can you keep up with who's raised preflop for instance? I'm unable to do so if playing more than 2 tables and even then its tough. If you're active in two or more tables after the flop, can you really make the best decisions with another two or more tables beeping at you? Would not a "solid player" make a more dedicated, full mental effort on only one, or at most two tables? Flame away....maybe I'm just retarded.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Multi Table Internet Poker....Profitable?

First of all it takes a lot of practice to get good at multitabling. Few people (if any) can go from playing one table and instantly jump to playing eight at once. However, many people have been able to achieve that buy adding one table at a time and practicing over many many thousands of hands.

It's definatly true that you won't always make the 'best' decision because you have decisions on multiple tables but you are probably fine as long as you can make a 'good' decision. You make more money if you win 3BB/100 at three tables than if you make 4BB/100 at two tables...
Old 02-03-2005, 08:03 PM

I just went to two tables and it has given me a renewed interest in the game. I can play two tables and surf the web while watching television. What a great world!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:06 PM

I've been playing 4 tables for a living for about a year. Learning how to play 4 tables well is what enabled me to go pro. Pokertracker is a must.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:12 PM

well, I personally have enough of a problem winning at a single table so I'm just speculating here:

a) playing multiple tables at lower stakes will reduce your varience
b) the competing players at the lower stakes tables are less skilled

I suspect b) is the correct answer...
Old 02-03-2005, 08:23 PM

Playing multiple tables will teach an impatient player how to play properly. It also allows you to clear bonus's quickly. A&B are both true. A 500 hand cold streak playing 4 tables is only 2 hours.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:29 PM

Hi Doc,
There is a big advantage in playing multi tables for winning players. Like has been said, if you make 3bb/100 at one table you make twice as much by making 1.5bb/100 at 4 tables. You play more disciplined and patient. As far as keeping up with the tables, adding tables and having information(pokertracker and playerview) are a must for informed decisions. I can play about 6 tables where I feel like I do not lose a lot based on my reads of the players and my focus.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:30 PM

Do you think six is more profitable than 4 and do you play across 2 sites?
Old 02-03-2005, 08:49 PM

I think you lose less and less by playing more and more tables up until your 'breaking point'. So you always make more from playing more tables up until you get to the number of tables where you can't maintain your concentration, which varies based on the individual. I am playing six to eight tables right now on 2 party poker skins but I would play more if I had a 2nd monitor.

Also, I posted a breakdown of the math of how active you get playing multiple tables:
math breakdown (2+2 post)
Old 02-04-2005, 10:21 AM

Once you're confident in your ability to beat a limit confidently, you'll lose very little by adding extra tables - at least at the very low limits. I'm playing 4-5 tables of .5/1 right now, and I probably make about .5-1 BB/100 per table less than if I was single-tabling; obviously, having the other 3 tables more than makes up for that.