Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2003, 02:45 AM

Default 99 hand

15-30 5-handed, online. I am dealt 99 on the button (third hand at the table). UTG limps, MPP folds, I raise, both blinds and the limper call.

The flop is 8TT rainbow. Checked to me and I do the obvious. Both blinds fold and the limper pauses, then calls.

The turn is a J, putting a club draw on the board. The limper checks, and I check as well.

The river is an off-suit 6. I call a bet.

Bet the turn? Is this a boring hand?

-Diplomat
Old 12-14-2003, 03:17 AM

Default Re: 99 hand

"Is this a boring hand?"

Yes. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

You played it fine. As long as you do bet at least some of the time on the turn in this spot, checking is a good option.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:33 AM

If the turn had been a total brick, then a bet becomes almost mandatory. However, since you've got to see the river a check is probably fine.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:06 AM

hi diplomat
you should have bet the turn. in these heads up situations, your under pair to the board pair goes up in value. when you then get over-carded, you do not factor in the over-pair on board. you treat it as one single over-card. for your 99, the J is the perfect over-card for you. that thing didn't hit anyone.

if the over had been a K or A, you will need to factor in opponent knowledge. i know, you just sat down. this brings up an interesting point. something for the whole class.

i see all too frequently comments like, "...but i just couldn't bring myself to do it because i didn't know nobody."; or "these was strangers, i don't know what to do." hogwash. they're humans. if there was some other species at the table, then you could voice complaints about opponent knowlege. everyone here should have enough opponent knowledge about people to make the lack of opponent knowledge about a person a frivolous excuse.

when that jack hits and he checks, you must bet!

he's a person. that's all the opponent knowledge you need.

what else have you done?.....you better believe you're now calling his bet instead of the other way around. i guess this poor gentleman figured out that you're a human too, and did what you should have done. he bet!
Old 12-14-2003, 11:26 AM

I don't mind the check heads up on the turn. You may save bets on the turn by checking. Giving a free card is not that much of a concern here, since it may be you that needs one. You have to call the river tho no matter what comes.

al
Old 12-14-2003, 01:29 PM

Hi E,

good response. However, I checked the turn for a few reasons (not sure if they are valid or not).

The only way he's calling the turn is if he has me beat, or has an eight. If he has a jack, he'll probably call; if he has a ten, he'll probably checkraise. If he has an eight, he might call.

But the problem I have with these shorthanded online tables is that a board with a paired middle-rank card often gets bluffed into. So I checked the turn to avoid being bluff-raised (or raised if he held a ten) and to enduce a bluff on the river. I thought it was quite plausable that I was either way ahead, or horribly behind.

As it turns out my opponent was drawing dead on the turn, as he held 67o (his bottom-end gut-shot would give me a full house) and made a pair of sixes on the river.

I think your comment about there being only one overcard is valid, particularly in shorthanded games. This is something I thought was interesting, and you hit it pretty much on the head here -- what type of overcards do you really fear?

Also I agree with your thinking about a king or ace overcard, but I think it has less application against poor players, particularly online.

Another question is regarding my straight draw. Should I bet because I may be ahead and I have outs to fall back on (7, 9, Q) or check to induce a bluff and possibly save a bet if behind?

-Diplomat
Old 12-14-2003, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Another question is regarding my straight draw. Should I bet because I may be ahead and I have outs to fall back on (7, 9, Q) or check to induce a bluff and possibly save a bet if behind?

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer inducing the bluff in this situation. As you stated, paired mid-range cards produce excessive bluffing online. I consider the bet saving element also valid. However, I do have a question. If you catch your straight on the river, do you come out betting and hope he raises, or do you check and hope he follows his turn bluff?
Old 12-14-2003, 01:44 PM

Hi Kenshin,

well, I have position on him, he would either check to me or bet. I think in either case my play is pretty obvious if I make a straight. I think the crux would be what I would do if he three-bet.

-Diplomat
Old 12-14-2003, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Is this a boring hand?"

Yes. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

You played it fine. As long as you do bet at least some of the time on the turn in this spot, checking is a good option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to agree. With both parts. This post is part of a general overhaul of my game...traditionally I'd bet the turn here almost every time. Checking the turn is somewhat new to me.

-Diplomat
Old 12-14-2003, 01:54 PM

uggh, I should read the original posts more carefully. I assumed you acted before him. <N/M>