Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2003, 03:23 AM

Default For Andy and other Canterbury regulars

I'm going to be making a trip up to MN next week and wondering what Canterbury Park spreads for stud and HE, and what sort of tournaments they run. I should be there the 5th-8th. A description of the typical game would be nice too, I Guess [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the information.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:33 AM

Default Re: For Andy and other Canterbury regulars

I can't vouch for Hold Em or tournaments, but on
weekends the stud games are usually 2/4, 3/6, and 6/12,
along with a 4/8 stud/8 games. The games will vary
greatly depending on who shows up, but to oversimplify,
most times you can draw to flushes and small pairs cheaply, unlike the LA or San Jose games I've played when traveling for business.

When they have a major promotion going the place fills
up and the table limits rise. For example, they had a
4 day tournament in early May with $300 buy-ins. I don't
play tournaments, but the added player base bumped the
stud/8 games up to 6/12 and 30/60, and increased the limits and number of stud games.

good luck
Old 06-01-2003, 12:45 PM

Stud: $2/4 and $3/6 go daily. $6/12 goes occasionally, mostly on weekends. $15/30 went Friday night, but it's very sporadic. $4/8 stud/8 goes most days. $30/60 stud/8 used to be popular, but Andy B busted everybody and spent all the money. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Games are usually loose/passive, but can be lively at times.

Hold'em: $2/4, $3/6, $4/8, $6/12, $8/16, and $15/30 go daily. $30/60 goes sometimes, usually on weekends. Games are usually good, although more aggressive than the stud games. I find the $6/12 games easiest to beat, and $8/16 the hardest.

They have small buy-in tournaments on Wednesday nights, different games different weeks. It'll be Yamaha this Wednesday. If you're here from the 5-8, the one worthwhile tournament while you're in town is Thursday night's hold'em tournament. $45 buy-in, $10 entry fee gets you $600 in chips, and an optional re-buy/add-on gets you another $1000. Twenty minute rounds starting at $15/30. They've been getting well over 100 players for that one lately (thank you, WPT). It does dissolve into a crapshoot sooner than I'd like, but it's fun. There is also a Sunday morning shoot-out which is $12. You get an overlay, as the prize pool of $2000 is taken out of the jackpot money. Basically, you play for an hour and then hope you win one of the last two hands when everyone sticks all their money in Yahoo style. Not the most rewarding gambling experience.

Check out www.canterburypark.com .
Old 06-01-2003, 02:47 PM

Don't forget the free breakfast!
Old 06-01-2003, 09:03 PM

Thank you very much...how much of the lower-level stud have you played? I'm looking at playing the tourney then playing some 2/4 and 3/6 stud while I'm in town. I've played in some really loose low limit online games and some tighter 2/4 games, I'm gathering it'll parallel the LL game? Anyhow, hope to see some of you guys up there, it's really helped my stud game to read the forum.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:39 PM

I've played a lot of 2/4 and 3/6 at Canterbury. I would say the 2/4 tables are actually a little softer than online. The 3/6 are usually pretty passive too. 3/6 is also better on weekends when the horses are running and when the 6/12 stud game gets going.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:54 AM

The $2/4 and $3/6 stud games are usually pretty loose and passive, although it all depends who shows up. They are usually quite beatable in spite of a 10% rake capped at $4.50 and a $1 jackpot drop. There's a good chance that I'll be playing at least some this coming weekend. I look a lot like the handsome young man in the picture to the left. Feel free to say "hi" if I'm not in a hand and it doesn't look like I'm stuck too badly. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]