Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 03:13 AM

Default AK river check

Who still likes their TPTK enough to bet this river, given the Villain 3-bet our turn check-raise? The flop was safe enough for me to pull this flop-turn move, but when he 3-bet I gave him credit for two pair. I think capping the turn is silly, but I'd be interested to hear an argument for it. What say y'all? And does the fact that the turn and river make runner-runner straights and flushes go into your decisions? (Hint: they didn't to me, really)

(2-tabling and no read, sorry [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks...

Apologies if this is a totally standard and boring hand, but lately I've been waffling between these river bets out of position. I hate getting raised, and I hate when he checks behind with a worse hand. But I like when he checks behind with a better hand or calls with a worse one. Hands that make ya go hmmm...
Old 12-29-2004, 04:26 AM

Default Re: AK river check

I'd 3-bet the flop.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:37 AM

I think checking down the river is a fine idea, since it looks like theirs a good chance your beat. Looks a lot like your against aces or a set
Old 12-29-2004, 04:48 AM

I would probably three-bet this flop as well, but raising the turn is fine. After the three-bet, calling down is the best option IMO.

Without the backdoor draws completing on the river.. it's hard to say if a river bet is in order. But I just don't want to be raised again on the river with TPTK so I'd check/call probably.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who still likes their TPTK enough to bet this river, given the Villain 3-bet our turn check-raise? The flop was safe enough for me to pull this flop-turn move, but when he 3-bet I gave him credit for two pair. I think capping the turn is silly, but I'd be interested to hear an argument for it. What say y'all? And does the fact that the turn and river make runner-runner straights and flushes go into your decisions? (Hint: they didn't to me, really)

(2-tabling and no read, sorry [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (7 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks...

Apologies if this is a totally standard and boring hand, but lately I've been waffling between these river bets out of position. I hate getting raised, and I hate when he checks behind with a worse hand. But I like when he checks behind with a better hand or calls with a worse one. Hands that make ya go hmmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this hand is interesting.

I really like this line on the flop and turn. His 3-bet is scary though. I would like to think I could check/fold or bet/fold the river, but I'm still just check-calling getting 12:1 hoping to see KQ. I guess i have nothing productive to offer, hope others add to this post.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:31 AM

What about bet/folding the river? This would be ok as long as your opponent won't bluff-raise you in a big pot when draws hit. I hate check calling in general, but I think that it is a completely valid option, and one that I would seriously consider as well.