Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 AM

Default EV of limit MTTs

Im sure we have all made the mistake of signing up for a MTT only to realize that it is limit vs NL after the fact.

I have done this a few times, and enter a few knowingly. I am always suprised at how well I do. I play very little limit outside of the occasional MTT. I think in general, NL players get more MTT experience than limit. Limit experience, is only important for the early stages anyway, after the blinds become high, I think tournament experience is the most imprtant skill to have.

Has anyone else noticed the softness of the limit MTT, or is this just short term luck in my 10 MTTS?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: EV of limit MTTs

They are pretty easily at the lower limits I find. Most ordinary limit players that play in these don't even realize the importance of stack size, blind/ante size etc. I think a NL player with no limit knowledge would do better in a limit MTT than the converse. General NL concepts extend naturally to tourneys than limit (eg. weakness of drawing hands late in tourneys).
Old 02-28-2005, 02:53 PM

I agree 100%. I'm an OK NL tourney and sng player and a weak limit ring game player but seem to do great in limit MTTs and sngs. Isura is right, most of the people in these really have no idea about tournament play. Once the blinds get big relative to stacks it's much more like a NL game than a limit ring.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:05 AM

I also think that paying a more pure "tournament strategy" helps as well. For instance, I may make some plays in a NL MTT that are questionable as far as the tournament goes, but would be great in a cash game. My lack of knowledge of limit forces me to only be concerned with the Tournament factors. Stack size, who defends there blind, who was a large gap, etc.

I noticed in Cardplayer this week that Jenifer Harmon won a bracelet this year in an event she never played. I guess knowledge of poker theory and MTT strategy can carry you a long way.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:15 AM

Just had to share. I signed up for last wednesdays super with about 15 mins. to go and then realized it was limit. I tried to unregister but it said it was too late, even though there was about 10 mins before registration closed. I though about calling in, but thats always such a pain it wasn't really worth it to get back the $162. I mean, I had to have some chance, I know limit ring, and I know NL sng's. So I figured I'd play the thing. Long story shortened, everything went pretty much right and I finished second for $9200.

Now I'm trying to decide if it was a fluk or if I should play more of them...

Steve