Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Newbie Tell Question

Hi, I'm a newb when it comes to tells. Could anyone give me a rundown on basic stuff?

Peace, and garlic!
Old 09-01-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Newbie Tell Question

when someone picks their nose, they have the nuts lol,,,Tells are not an exact science, try to observe patterns of behavior and how it relates to their action over the course of a session. The basic premise is weak means strong and strong mean weak. Nervous does not mean I am afraid to bet but that I got the nuts, hands on cards probably going to fold, hand on chips probably bet or raise, someone stares at the flop probably did not hit, someone looks away from the flop watch out,,,,many others,,,
Old 09-01-2005, 05:46 PM

sorry but did you even read the post 2 below this one (at the moment)

It's titled "tells".

It might have some information regarding tells.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:34 AM

It tells are important to you, spend a few $$$ on this
Old 09-02-2005, 01:16 PM

I think Harrington says that it is most important to watch the hands - people will tend to move their cards towards the muck if they want to fold and will tend to pull them towards them if they want to go in.

So if you see someone whose initial reaction is to move the cards towards the muck and he then calls, you may be able to deduce that he has a weak hand.

However, the main problem with playing on the basis of tells is that most decent players will vary their mannerisms as they go. So, for example, if we go on the belief that weak means strong and strong means weak, then if I aggressively put my money into the pot and then stare you down as you consider whether to call, you may take that as a sign of weakness - but I may also be doing that to make you think that I am weak.

The best thing to do is to simply watch your opponents and try and get inside their heads. The most important thing is to watch them when you are NOT in the hand.

My approach is to spend a few minutes at the table trying to isolate who are the players to watch - at a live game, it often doesn't take more than 5-10 hands to determine who is a fish/calling station and who is someone who has at least a basic idea of what they are doing - then you focus on those players.