Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2004, 03:49 AM

Default Quick Answer....

Hi All,

Don't go to two-dimes ... just give your immediate, gut, in-the-heat-of-the-moment response:

Situation: $55 two-table SNG, blinds are 25/50, your stack is 1700, relevant opponent is 1650. You are UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Table has been tight. You make it 150, hoping for a steal. Two callers, including relevant opponent on the button. Pot is 525.

Flop is: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

You bet 250, MP caller folds, button moves all-in. Do you call?

Results in white text below:

<font color="white"> I called, and he turned up A9 of diamonds. I thought I was behind, but he didn't hit his flush and I doubled through. When I checked two-dimes after the hand, though, I was surprised to find that my top two-pair was almost a 2:1 favorite despite his having top pair and the nut flush draw. </font>

Cris
Old 01-21-2004, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Quick Answer....

I would say you are way ahead at this point. I put him on a lone ace (AQo, AT, maybe AdTd?) or simply trying to make you lay down with a flush draw. Easy call, IMO.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:56 AM

Cris,

Yes, I call. And I haven't looked at the results yet.

I would also half-expect to lose with my call, but I call regardless.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:59 AM

Without hesitation. You're going to get paid off by flush draws here, just like you did in this case.

I'm not at all surprised at 2:1.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:08 AM

Yes, go all-in. The only hand you fear here is a set. You would have heard from AA earlier, most likely. You have two pair, which makes a set less likely, too, and if he's got sixes, you have outs.

I guess he could have a big draw here, like KQ diamonds, but that's still only got 13 outs and you are favourite, just about. You have four redraws too.

I am not sure I understand what I would check twodimes for on this hand...

Guy.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:12 AM

Default Concerning ths results

Hi Cris,

Don't be surprised by the odds!

A pair and flush draw is a favourite over a better made hand with two cards to come when all its two-pair outs are good.

Against you, this guy has to hit the flush: an ace or a nine won't help him. That's just nine outs, the usual made-hand-versus-flush-draw situation, making you 2:1 favourite.

If you had AK, for example, he'd have three more outs in the nines. 12 outs is getting close to even money, but still has you as a favourite.

If you have KQ on a K-9-4 board and your opponent has A9 with the flush draw, he now has 14 outs to beat you: the nine flush cards plus two nines and three aces. This makes you a slight underdog with two to come.

Guy.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Concerning ths results

Just wanted to add: in my last example there, with the K-9-4 board and your opponent holding A9 with the flush draw, he's even a favourite over a flopped two pair with K-4, since all his outs are still good.

Guy.