Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2001, 03:53 PM

Default happy face tell

Hello, I play in a pot-limit game with the same group of players I have a tell that is costing me money. Whenever I bluff/semi-bluff with a big bet I smile subtly. Everyone knows this and often a player will put me through the ringer and stare me down. After about 30 seconds of this I cannot control it and my grin slow turns into a big smile. I have tried many things such a telling myself a have the nuts, wearing sunglasses, or just straing at the pot, but yet I can't relax. Any suggestions?

Mark
Old 10-08-2001, 10:07 PM

Default Re: happy face tell

If it's easier to smile, smile even when you're not bluffing. Then it no longer becomes a tell. The key is not necessarily how you act, but that you act consistently.

sam
Old 10-10-2001, 10:12 AM

Default Re: happy face tell

You gotta get rid of this tell, and fast. Why don't you try doing it exactly the same when you DO have the nuts? Do this a few times and they won't know what to think anymore.

Or, you could bring a pair of pliers, and every time you are bluffing or semi-bluffing, you could keep sqeezing your thumb harder and harder, thus making it impossible for you to be smiling due to the intense pain you are feeling.

Dave in Cali