Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2002, 06:09 AM

Default Worst Bad Beat?

Hi everyone. I haven't posted here lately but this hand casused me to pause and... think. I have been playing quite a few tournaments of late. Last Friday I finished 5th in the NLH tournament at the O'rleans. On Monday I finished third but got 2nd place money. On tuesday I played in the Mirage NLH tourney and was crushed on the following hand. There were 3 tables left. I had T6200. Blinds were T250 - 500. I was in late mid position with pocket Kings. First in, I raised to 1500. I wanted a caller but I wanted a caller with a hand like a pair but not a weak Ace.

The small blind called and we took the flop 2 handed. Flop came K,7,3 rainbow. The sb checked and I checked. The turn was the 9s putting the Ks,9s on the board. The SB bet T1500 and I moved in. He thought for about 5 minutes and said "I'm going to gamble and tossed in his last T1500. He then showed the Qs,Ts. The river was the Jh and I was effectively out of the tourney with T1600 left I raised UTG with As,7s and lost to A,Qo.

I felt like the poker gods really laid into me but after further analysis and sicussion I put the blame squarely on my shoulders. I should bet the flop given the situation and my chip position. I win right there and move on. But...

That ain't nothing. Yesteday I tried my first online tournament(s). I entered the Partypoker Millon Dollar tournament. I finished second and got a free roll for the another shot. Then I played a 10 man $33 limit Holdem tournament and won it! I then played another and gave away all my chips and felt brain dead so I stopped.

Today I ent over to Bellagio and played some 15 Holdem. Ran into Nolan Dalla and talked a bit with him. Saw Hosh and Abdul and spoke with them a while. Mason showed up later. I played some 15 Holdem and got stuck $600 but before the glue on my pants could dry I recovered and ended up winning $185. I didn't want to get stuck again because it was late (for me) so I quit for the night. I sweated Mason on three hands that crushed him and thought that I better leave.

So I took the shuttle to the Gold Coast and walked to my apartment. Not very tired i rnetered another 10 man $33 tournament on Partypoker.com. I won! "2 for 3" not bad says I, to me for i am alone. So I's decide to play another one. Before the first round is done I am down to $135 from the starting T800. But then i tripple up and soon have T1100. The blinds are now 50-100 at the 100-200 level. I am on the button with A,Qo. One limper to me and I raise. The sb calls and the limper. The flop is Ad,7h,3h. SB checks I bet and he calls. The turn is the 4h. SB checks and I bet and he calls. The river is the Qh putting four hearts on the board. The sb now bets. I think for a long time (2 seconds) and decide I have to call. I lose the hand to a set of Queens! Now I have taken some pretty bad bad beats in the past, just like everyone else reading this, but I can't imagine a worst beat than this one. What do you think?

vince
Old 05-10-2002, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Not really a bad beat!

Anytime you're a dog preflop and get beat, can it really be called a bad beat?

How about some "Good Win" stories?

Keep playing hard!
Old 05-10-2002, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Worst Bad Beat?

get in the big one vince u ere ready...gl
Old 05-10-2002, 08:31 AM

Default Here\'s one...a no brainer, but.....

I was in a no limit foxwoods tourney. the blinds were i believe 50-100 with a 10 ante. full table playing, and i was in late position with A8 diamonds. One player UTG was gettting totally beat up all night, and moves all in for about 450. The tourney was still relatively early, and after the rebuy period ended i was playing very well, and didn't say much. It was folded to me, and I see a new player, with around 1600 on the button, place all his chips on top of his cards. Obviously he didn't have the nuts, so i confidently asked the table the question, "OK how much must I raise to minimum?"

Everyone chimed in and said "Make it at least 900 or above, and you're okay." I had around 2500, and wasn't really sure what the button would do if i did raise 900, and i wasn't ready to try to isolate with that dusty A8, and 450 was cheap enough to just call and see what button does. As i predicted, he just called the 450 and we saw the single pot 3-way.

Flop comes A-A-K rainbow. Yippie??? It's to me, and I fire in 300, and I'm not too happy about my kicker right there and i'm telegraphing weakness. I have seen people call raises with AK, AQ, and other reraising hands, so button could have had AT or AJ too. After i put in the 300, he moves in very violently. Argh?? I think and think , and realize that i really cannot fold this hand here [even though many of you may think i hold a monster(and i know it is), i was truly worried about my kicker and didn't want to get crippled out this way.]

I call. he says "i'm way behind an ace." Woo hoo!!! he shows me KQ!! UTG has A2 and i'm looking to scoop a 4.5K pot. What is the turn? K!!! ARGH!!! but at that point i was happier to scoop the bigger sidepot than sadder to chop the main.

river is insignificant. I move on and finish 9th.

easy call on flop? easy allin play preflop? comments!

xencut
Old 05-10-2002, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Here\'s one...a no brainer, but.....

Don't forget that any K, Q, J, T and 9 has you spit the pot wit the A2.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:40 AM

Bad beat stories Vince ? I charge $10 to listen to those. So that's $10, plus I hold you personally liable for $5 for each subsequent bad beat story you solicit, with a 50% surtax for any that don't make sense, like the "no brainer" above.

Andy :-)
Old 05-10-2002, 01:46 PM

Vince,

With only three tables left I would have never checked the flop. All my chips would be in pot on the flop. In Sklansky's new tournament book he explains why you should give up some positive EV situations to avoid going broke. I think this is the mistake that you made here. Normally, if it was during the rebuy period, I would have done what you did, but you were getting closer to the money in this situation, so it is important to maximize your chances of winning the hand.

P.S. I will be in Vegas from May 12th - 17th, and will be staying at the Flamingo. I plan on playing some tournaments at the Orleans, and will be at the Mirage this Tuesday to play the $60 buy-in unlimited rebuy No-Limit tournament. Hope to see you there. If you sit at my table, be prepared to do rebuys. [img]/images/wink.gif[/img]

Good Luck

Mark

Old 05-10-2002, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Not really a bad beat!

Anytime you're a dog preflop and get beat, can it really be called a bad beat?

Yes, of course.

Old 05-10-2002, 02:48 PM

Default This happened at the weekend

Flop QQT

BB bets, middle postion calls, preflop raiser raises, both call. Turn is a T, BB bets, middle position raises all in, preflop folds.

BB calls and turns over Q9, middle turns over JT.

The dealer thinks it's all over and hands the pot to the BB. All the players shout he has to deal the river. He turns over a 3, but didn't burn, so he turns the 3 back over and .. you can guess it - he then produces the last Ten..
Old 05-11-2002, 07:53 AM

Default Playing results?

I disagree with you about the mirage hand.

Just because you got out drawn doesnt mean you did the wrong thing.

You are almost certainly a million miles ahead on the flop. This type of situation happens so rarely in an evenings tournament you want to maximise it.

By checking your hand, your opponent may make a hand much worse than yours (eg top pair - An A would be a great card here) or even take a shot at the pot with nothing.

I agree with your first thoughts - the poker Gods shat on your head - its no fun but it doesnt mean your play was wrong.