Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 05:41 PM

Default 6 max NL -- Full house on the turn

Hero $180
Villain $200

Villain was the typical calling station. He bluffs too occasionally on the river. He likes to play a lot of hands.

6 max NL
.50/1 NL

Hero on button

Everyone limps

Hero raises to $4 with 8 8
Villain calls
MP calls (I think)

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] pot=16
Villain checks
MP checks
Hero bets $9
Villain calls

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] $33
Villain checks
Hero bets $20
Villain calls

River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[censored] great
just [censored] great

Villain bets $30
Hero calls

Villain shows Q T .

God damn it . WTF. How did I play it ? He had like 4 [censored] outs. Before I sat down, Villain bet $15 on the river with 5 high. That is partly why I called him and partly because I didn't believe he called me down with a queen. This is like the 4th full house /set I've had busted this week.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: 6 max NL -- Full house on the turn

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
He bluffs too occasionally on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's funny [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for the hand, I think you should bet more on the flop. The turn bet is fine probably, in relation to the pot, but, as I said, the pot should have been a bit bigger. To fold or call the river depends on how one should interpret the "too occasionally" statement [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I suppose you meant to make a comma, and then I think the river is an easy fold.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:54 PM

I know. On the river, I was like you gotta be [censored] kidding me. Huffing and puffing basically. I still am a little bit.

That fucker will be there tomorrow and so will I .

Q T . WTF did he think he was beating on the flop and turn. What ?????

He beat Q 9. He thinks I raised with Q 9 . He think I'm betting $35 with AK high ??

2 minutes later.....he leaves. Sign of a pure amateur. I'll get my money back. You can be sure of that.

Idiot needed like $150 on the river to make the play profitable. He still didn't get it. - EV play for him. What a dumbass.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:58 PM

Someone please answer me this. Why is it that everytime I go up and play .50/1 NL , I come away with a bad beat the majority of the time ? I did win last time but I'm still at a deficit I believe for .50/1 NL or I'm breaking even. When is it going to turn around and swing in my direction ?
Old 05-24-2005, 06:15 PM

I think you should make it at least $6 preflop by the way, with all them limpers.

This is a tough break, but you won yourself some sklansky bucks and that's what should matter. I know it can be difficult to have that approach sometimes, but you should really strive for it.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q T . WTF did he think he was beating on the flop and turn. What ?????

[/ QUOTE ] Quite a bit. AK, AJ, A10, suited connectors, small pocket pairs. etc,

on the flop he has top pair, mediocre kicker and an inside straight draw.

He's supposed to know you have trips?

[ QUOTE ]
He beat Q 9. He thinks I raised with Q 9 . He think I'm betting $35 with AK high ??

[/ QUOTE ]

I took someones $55 stack yesterday who was betting with an unimproved AJ.

[ QUOTE ]
2 minutes later.....he leaves. Sign of a pure amateur. I'll get my money back. You can be sure of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're counting on it! Go, TRP, Go TRP! Woo woo.

Can't wait to see the next post how you lost to an idiot who took your money. They're goot!

You call him an idiot... I'd suggest your river call was foolish.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:05 PM

simmmmmmmaaaaa down. it was a bad beat, whatever. i thought you wouldnt care at this point, you seem pretty level headed and intelligent. dont worry about it.

rj
Old 05-24-2005, 07:30 PM

I called because I hadn't won a damn thing today. I'm pissed. Not only that, he needed my whole stack to make that play profitable. People know you call anything, they won't bluff you later.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:07 AM

by my math you need to win around 25% of the time on the river (bumped a little for rake) to get your $30 back. there is NO WAY he is stone bluffing you 25% of the time after you've bet the flop and the turn and the top two board cards are paired. i think your river call is atrocious. and i think calling because you hadn't won anything that day is pretty poor. no reason to dig a hole just because the cards didnt fall your way.

that said, i think you played the rest of the hand OK, i would have bet more on the flop though, but no big deal.

i am amazed though that you seem to have much more experience than when you first showed up yet you still aren't used to getting tough breaks/bad beats. seriously take a note from most of the other regular posters. you don't see them complaining about bad luck all the time, do you?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:48 PM

Hold on. Either you don't understand the mathematics or I don't. One of us is wrong. He called with 3 to 1 odds on the turn and he needed 11 to 1. Right ? He had 4 outs. Therefore, even if I call his river bet, he still loses money over the long and I win money. I believe this is mathematically correct. He needs to get $160 out of me on the river. Even if I call the $30 that still leaves him $130 short. I did hurt my EV by calling this but I'm saying that calling that isn't a disaster but it won't be something I do all the time. I saw him bluff on the river just like that before I sat down so I called.