Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Questionable limp, overbet flop, weak-tight fold

$55 Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter

CO (t1335)
Button (t1445)
SB (t3150)
BB (t1260)
UTG (t970)
Hero (t745)
MP2 (t1095)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t110</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t220</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t420

<font color="blue"> Not interested in pre-flop. What do we think of the flop action? </font>
Old 04-28-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Questionable limp, overbet flop, weak-tight fold

Make a smaller bet if you're going to fold to a minraise. I like 75. What's the point in the overbet?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:45 PM

Looks like the BB Special is pushing you off 2 overcards. It's a little overbet, but not too much. Given your stack, and the limp, he probably put you on two overcards missing the flop and trying to bluff.
You know in the BB he can have any 2, and is more likely to have connected to the 533 flop than you with VPIP. He's probably using this against you.

Drink more,
RedRum
Old 04-28-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make a smaller bet if you're going to fold to a minraise. I like 75. What's the point in the overbet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to take the pot down on the flop or make a push reasonable on the turn if I was called on the flop. 110 is better than 75 for both of these goals.

I also felt 110 gives me a better read for a lay-down if I was re-raised on the flop but I could be wrong on this.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like the BB Special is pushing you off 2 overcards. It's a little overbet, but not too much. Given your stack, and the limp, he probably put you on two overcards missing the flop and trying to bluff.
You know in the BB he can have any 2, and is more likely to have connected to the 533 flop than you with VPIP. He's probably using this against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, this is the question. So do you push? Call? Fold?

[ QUOTE ]
Drink more,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 04-28-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like calling here because there are so few cards on the turn to make me feel good about my hand. I would tend to push or fold.

His raise is asking to be called. Ideally, I have a read that tells me whether or not he's a good enough player to realize this. If he's not completely stupid, I'll fold. I have trouble coming up with a hand that decent player would play like this that we can beat.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have trouble coming up with a hand that decent player would play like this that we can beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

66-77, 5x, 46, two clubs??

[ QUOTE ]
What do we think of the flop action?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just you and the blinds here. I don't think you need to bet much here for them to tell you what they have. They either have a hand they want to play or they don't. For the number of times you're in this situation, the amount you bet will only need to be 60-75 chips. These two guys don't like their hand most of the time.

I agree with wuwei here. Push or fold. If you push, and you're called, you'll know what he has.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like calling here because there are so few cards on the turn to make me feel good about my hand. I would tend to push or fold.

His raise is asking to be called. Ideally, I have a read that tells me whether or not he's a good enough player to realize this. If he's not completely stupid, I'll fold. I have trouble coming up with a hand that decent player would play like this that we can beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I will often pull this move from the BB as a resteal (against thinking opponents). If I am in the BB's spot, your raise looks fishy. It looks like a raise that does not want to be called so my natural instinct is to raise it. Since the line the BB is taking is how the vast majority of players in the low levels play the flopped trips and the flop is unlikely to have connected with your hand it is a very effective resteal technique. I'm not saying that's what's going on here, but it certainly is a possibility. Depending on the opponent he could easily have a 5, a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or str8 draw, or it could be a bald-faced bluff. I don't think I have the nuts to go over the top of him here, but if I was shorter or the blinds were higher I might go for the push.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just you and the blinds here. I don't think you need to bet much here for them to tell you what they have. They either have a hand they want to play or they don't. For the number of times you're in this situation, the amount you bet will only need to be 60-75 chips. These two guys don't like their hand most of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my response to an earlier post:

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wanted to take the pot down on the flop or make a push reasonable on the turn if I was called on the flop. 110 is better than 75 for both of these goals.

I also felt 110 gives me a better read for a lay-down if I was re-raised on the flop but I could be wrong on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like a 60-75 bet by me on this flop encourages blinds to make a move. I feel like when I bet the 110, the blinds will make a move less often and will actually have the goods when they pop me back. Like I said, I could be wrong.....
Old 04-28-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like a 60-75 bet by me on this flop encourages blinds to make a move. I feel like when I bet the 110, the blinds will make a move less often and will actually have the goods when they pop me back. Like I said, I could be wrong.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Put yourself in BB's shoes. Which bet tells you more?