Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2004, 05:42 PM

Default Weak fold with 2nd pair?

First hand at the table, no reads on anyone.

Party Poker 1/2 (10 handed)
Hero has Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and is BB

MP3 limps, Button limps, SB limps, Hero checks

With 3 other players in, is a raise in order here? I would have raised this in the past, but I've noticed that I have been losing a lot of money with KQs in early position, and am currently experimenting.

Flop(4 SB): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets, MP3 folds, Button calls, SB folds

Turn(3 BB): A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Button raises, Hero folds

The turn was pretty much a nightmare card. The button auto-raised, I thought about it for a while, and mucked. I knew I was behind, but I figured I had 4 J's, 2 K's and 3 Q's if he just had a bad ace, but the flush on the board scared me off. Later hands I played with the villain revealed him to be relatively weak/tight, so I probably made the right play, but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks,

Nate
Old 02-03-2004, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Weak fold with 2nd pair?

I think you should have called.

Without a flush, you should call with 9 outs and 6:1 odds. I'm sure you can see that.

It's likely he did not have a flush. If he is weak-tight PF, he probably would have folded suited multiway hands. It's likely he has a piece of the board and a heart.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:52 PM

As long as you can outplay your opponents after the flop, raise here.
Flop: good
Turn: I would check\call here. It could induce a bluff or save you a bet here. It also may keep players from bluffing you in the future. Either way it's a marginal decision.
River: check\call
Old 02-03-2004, 06:52 PM

Here goes my first post...

I think your fold was correct. Button could have made the flush with KX [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or QX [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or maybe a straight with QJo. In either case, you would have to discount your outs since you would be drawing dead against the flush or would only split the pot against a straight, so you are not getting the proper odds to call, in my opinion.
Of course, what do I know? It's only my first post. I think the button would have called preflop and on the flop with those hands, and would raise on the turn. Maybe I am looking for monsters under the bed though.
Shawsy