Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Suited,Ace-rag,Fold 100bb downswing etc

No bad beat post here.

I hit >100bb downswing yesterday on pokerstars 10 20 game, how normal are this kind of swings?

Couple of question which may help finding out why I got such a downswing.

1) Suited-connectors, how should I play them preflop. Talking mainly about hands like 65s those are playble hands on NL, but im starting to understand that maybe crap in fixed? Just give me some general idea.

2) Ace-rag i.e A3 im now open raising from every position and folding if it's raised before me. Is that good?

3) Blinds defense, my numbers are now something like vpip from SB 50% and from BB 70% I suppose those are way too high? I just dont know what hands I should start folding from blinds when it's raised from button or cutoff and no-one else has called. Right now im just folding hands like 92o etc.

And last question this is actual hand I played today should I fold the turn or river here?

5 handed 2 fold button calls(!) sb calls and I check JTo flop comes T86 SB bets I raise button calls SB folds. Turn 4 I bet button raises. I call.
River Q I check-call. Flush came also on river.

Seems like this can be little harder game then I thought first. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Suited,Ace-rag,Fold 100bb downswing etc

From the tone of your post, I don't think your 100BB loss at the stars 10/20 game is a downswing, I think its prolly because you arent a winning player at that level.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but your questions show a real lack of SH experience (which is understandable since it sounds like its new to you).

smaller suited connectors are alot less valuable in SH play, since the pots arent often multiway enough for them to get proper value. And the situations are less frequent where you get to play them.

Opening Ax from any position, is total suicide. I wont open lower than A7o from the CO, and only open any Ace from the button.

I fold my blinds to a raise 85% of the time from the SB, and 55% in the BB. There are a TON of posts on blind defense in the forum archives, and they are required reading.

Also swings of 100BB in magnitude are completely normal for even really good SH players. Swings are something you have to get used to in this game. There have been numerous winning players here post about having losing swings of 400BB.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:19 PM

No offense, but these questions are not the type I would expect out of someone playing 10/20.

Anway...

100BB downswing - normal

suited connectors - table dependent - I'll limp them in with a few limpers already in or defend with them from the blinds...I never openraise with anything below T9s (maybe the occasional steal).

Ace-runt - I fold A7o and below from UTG and MP, fold A8o and below if I am not first in

Blind defense - I don't really know...there are better qualified to answer this. Again, it depends on your read of the stealer...10/20 I am defending pretty tenaciously - low 50s from the BB.

I would check-fold the river...

edit: read and re-read what alobar said about blind defense.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:22 PM

No offense taken, actually I have played more SH then full table fixed. But when you play 1½ years almost only NL holdem it's bit hard to change the game fast start and winning.

But playing 10 20 doesen't really affect to my bankroll even if im loosing player.

Thanks for advice I will look into those threads about blind defense.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:24 PM

GET OUT OF THE 10/20 GAME!!!!!!!!

Really, play some 1/2 or 3/6 and get a better feel.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense taken, actually I have played more SH then full table fixed. But when you play 1½ years almost only NL holdem it's bit hard to change the game fast start and winning.

But playing 10 20 doesen't really affect to my bankroll even if im loosing player.

Thanks for advice I will look into those threads about blind defense.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I recently just started learning NL, and its definately a whole different game.

The archives are a great place to learn all that is SH. That and lots of posting here.

Welcome to the SH forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]