Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Whats your move here with Top pair top kicker?

50+5 SNG sorry converter fails me yet again.
3rd level
7 players left only 3 important
50-100
Hero (1250) is in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MP (900) Limps
Button (1500) Raises to 250

Hero???
I called, whats your thoughts.
Flop
J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks (i wanted to checkraises)
MP Moves all in for 650
Button calls 650

Hero folds..... THoughts was this weak tight . i felt there is no way i beat both of them here. Comments on all streets appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 07-25-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Whats your move here with Top pair top kicker?

[ QUOTE ]
50+5 SNG sorry converter fails me yet again.
3rd level
7 players left only 3 important
50-100
Hero (1250) is in the BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MP (900) Limps
Button (1500) Raises to 250

Hero???
I called, whats your thoughts.
Flop
J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks (i wanted to checkraises)
MP Moves all in for 650
Button calls 650

Hero folds..... THoughts was this weak tight . i felt there is no way i beat both of them here. Comments on all streets appreciated.
Thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

Good fold IMO. You're probably looking at QQ, KK, AA, trips, or two pair. Sure, maybe this time it wasn't the case, but as a rule, with two huge bets like that, at least one is probably going to beat a hand like that AJ.

Albert
Old 07-25-2005, 12:38 PM

Hmmm...depending on number of active players behind you I'd call or fold preflop. I don't like playing AJs/o in raised pots OOP, so consider that before calling. And yeah, I think the flop is a must fold. One of them has to have better than top pair IMO.

edit: and I wouldn't say this is weak tight, I'd go for something catchier like "weak-smart"
Old 07-25-2005, 12:39 PM

I certainly think there's a chance you're ahead after this flop, but it's small, and I do the same thing -- you're not ahead anywhere close to often enough to make up for the times that you're behind an overpair or trips.

As for preflop, I'm willing to limp this, but not call a 2.5xBB raise, and flop action like this is exactly why.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:46 PM

I know you have decent pot odds, but I'd probably fold preflop. Unless we hit 2 pair or better, it's going to be very difficult to play this hand postflop against a preflop raiser. You often end up in a situation folding the best hand, or paying off a better hand
Old 07-25-2005, 12:46 PM

Preflop:
Depends a little on your read of the limper. I might fold here if I had the inclination that MP could push behind me. And the 250 raise when there is a limper smells a little funny, as though BB wants 2 calls.

Flop:
Personally I lead into this, but I think c/r is fine. Once the push/call comes you have to fold it. MP could push with just about anything here, but BB surely has you beat (again just calling instead of pushing?).
Old 07-25-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly think there's a chance you're ahead after this flop, but it's small, and I do the same thing -- you're not ahead anywhere close to often enough to make up for the times that you're behind an overpair or trips.

Wasnt a horrible call. It was 150 for me to call and there was 500 in the middle (limp +BB+SB+raise) so i was getting 3.5to 1 and i thought the raise might be postional. It wasnt good either as i was out of postioion and challenging a bigger stack. Really i agree with what my friend says i should have pushed PF or folded.
As for preflop, I'm willing to limp this, but not call a 2.5xBB raise, and flop action like this is exactly why.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-25-2005, 01:34 PM

If I'm calling the raise PF, I'm calling the 650 on the flop. I highly doubt MP has you beat here. (Think about what he could have.) I'm guessing either a J or a midpair. Button may have you beat here, but I think he has AK/AQ/TT/99 enough of the time to make this a necessary call.

But I fold PF and avoid this mess.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:44 PM

fold preflop
Old 07-25-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Reason being? Please explain? WHile i dont disagree i would like to see why. Points for calling 3.5to1 odds, your in the 3stage where you need to accumalted chips, you get a discount.
Folding your out of postion, the player raising has you covered? WHat else what is your biggest factor....